1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a Philips 32PF9986... now what?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by osbornej76, Feb 17, 2005.

1. osbornej76

osbornej76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have tried this in the DVD Player forum, but to no avail.

Which progressive scan DVD players work via DVI with the 32PF9986?

Seems a simple question but I have been reading loads of posts with ppl seemingly haveing problems getting DVI (and Prog scan) to work on this TV.. and imho the SCART picture is horrible...

I am thinking of the Samsung HD745/945 or the Denon 1910. On paper both *should* work via DVI (with prog scan etc) but has anyone actually got this combination working!!!!????

:lease:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, loads of folk have, works fine.

Carry on.

This TV also works very well with analogue Progressive Scan pictures via its adapter cable. I don't understand why you think the TV has a horrible picture with the Scart feed. It should be pretty good. Have you got all the settings fettled?

Talk to us, there's tons of info on this forum to get this TV really working! Keep in touch.

Jimmy

3. osbornej76

osbornej76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimsan, thanks for your help..

Okay the SCART looks bad because a) it is an old cheap cable b) connected to an old cheap Wharfedale DVD player! :rolleyes:

That said I am hearing that prog scan is the way to go with a panel like this, and I understand that prog scan will only work over DVI/HDMI and Component. Since DVI is all I have I guess this is the only option....

Am close to buying a HD945, but can't find one in a shop anyware!! Getting one delivered is tough because neither my GF nor I are at home during the day... and getting guaranteed Saturday delivery is almost impossible (as I found out with the TV!)

Finally I understand that the firmware needs to be 2.1 or above to handle DVD DVI input (non PC), am I correct? (If so I will check firmware revision with crossed fingers tonight!)

Sorry for the basic questions, I have trawled the forum, but it is still hard to get simple answers sometimes!

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't apologise! I like basic questions!

OK, the v2.0, v2.1 and v2.2 sets can all handle both Digital DVI inputs and analogue component inputs. If your TV came with a funny looking cable with Red/White/Yellow phono-type ends and was connected to a VGA/DVI adapter, then it will be a v2.X firmware TV. This cable can be connected to an analogue Progressive Scan DVD player to acheive fantastic 576p pictures.

All you need is a competent Progressive DVD player (Toshiba 240E - £50 in Tesco!) and away you go! You'll also need a component cable. (Red/Green/Blue connections)

In a way this is a better option than the purely digital one as the picture produced fills the screen perfectly whereas the 720p picture from a digital player doesn't.

In the future there will be true HiDef DVD players which will suit this TV even better.

Do you have a big Tesco near you? Would save the bother of Saturday deliveries etc..

Jimmy

5. chris210972

chris210972
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a samsung hd745 with my 329986 and the picture quality via dvi is supurb.
    before that i had a pioneer 575 which was almost as good.

6. Dogboats

Dogboats
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jimsan - are you sure that the 9986 only comes with the component to vga cable if it's a version 2.x? Mine came with the cable and when I press 123654 the TV displays the following:

TX21EU-1.3_06921

I'm assuming that it's the 1.3 bit that's significant. :confused:

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, I read this in another thread, Exceedingly confusing! The v1.3 isn't able to show pictures with this cable. Very odd indeed...

Jimmy

8. Dogboats

Dogboats
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to make it worse, I'm pretty sure that the sticker on the back said 2.1 :rolleyes:

9. esieens

esieens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Dogoats - I am in exactly the same situaton. Sticker says 2.1 but service menu says TX21EU-1.3_06921.

Have you managed to find out exactly what firmware we have? Have you contacted Philips?

Also i'll be interested to know if you can use the v1.3 firmware with a DVI DVD player... i could just make the switch now and avoid a lot of troubles with JL to get my firmware upgraded.

10. nwells

nwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having tracked the forum messages for some time ( noting your compliments of the system ) I recently purchased a Philips
    PF9986 and am really impressed with the results but feel that there is room for improvement.
    The software version is v2.1 but I am currently using an older Sony video recorder and Sony DVD player that does not have component connections.
    Using scart connections I link up the LCD, Sky +, video, DVD and PS2.
    I wondered if I could pick your brains as I would like to reduce the clutter on my TV stand and improve my picture and sound quality.
    Please could you give me some advice on using the benefits of using DVI/Progressive Scan. I intend to replace the video and DVD player with a new home entertainment system that incorporates all that I need. Do you know of any recommended systems that have a good track record with the Philips 32 PF9986.
    Also how should I link up my sky +, all in one system and PS2.
    Sorry for all the waffle.

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The sticker on the back is a chassis number and has no relation to the firmware version.

Jimmy