1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just got a Pana DMRE-50. Verdict & some Q's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jules, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Juts got a Panasonic DMRE50 from RS at the stonking proce of £237, multi region!

What a machine for this price, I'm blown away with what my £237 has bought me.
    Good playback, great recordings, great on board tuner, great features, great compatibility and it even appears to be pretty easy to use.
    Who'd buy a VCR now?!!!

Anyway, here's my question.
    I know it uses DVD-R for archiving and DVD-RAM for VCR style re-recording.
    However, wouldn't it be possible to ask it to record on to a
    DVD-RW until its full, then erase the contents on a PC DVD-RW drive? Or will it simply not recognise a blank DVD-RW?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Won't recognise blank DVD-RWs I'm afraid. The upcoming Toshiba and JVC models will record to DVD-RW but will be a good £100 more expensive than your Panny.

Given that the E50 is actually cheaper than some VCRs I would suggest very few people.

3. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, just a question if i may---- is the -rw in the panny`s blocked by just firmware, if so could the pc firmware hacker brigade resolve this or would it be a total new firmware requirement ?

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No one has been able to develop any hacks to do this on the HS2, and as the E50 is similar without the hard drive, I suspect there is zero chance of doing this.

You can get relatively cheap playback machines that can read -ram, and drives for the computer which are compatible as well. This would allow you to edit on the -ram in the E50, then play it back from another dvd player and archive to -r. Had you spent a little more the HS2 at around £550 with its hard drive would very conveniently have allowed all this within the one unit.

5. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ken,
    i would`nt think many hackers were working on set tops, yet.
    also with the price of E50 now is like 2 for one hs2, so 2x E50 may probably be a better deal in one home.

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have seen the prices for the E50s at the moment. Absolutely unbelivable price to be honest for what you are getting. I have had one for around 6 months and cant fault it.

The lack or backwards compatable rewritable media is a small issue although this is no longer and issue for me, I have one of the new Panny DVD players which supports ram playback so very easy to edit to -r. The time slip feature is great and RAM is good for stuff you would record over.

To be honest at this price and given that dvd -r blanks are available for 40 pence upwards it has to be the bargain of the year. Who would buy a Phillips ?

7. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How did you get yours for 237 from richer sounds, I could only get 249 in the shop (to match their web price) the instore price was actually 329!!!!!!!!!
    Ok is only 12 quid, but to get my price I had to go home and get them a print out of their advertised price.
    This is a very nice machine BTW. I am still puzzled how it knows the titles of the programs I record. Fantastic.
    Why would you want to write to -RW disc anyway?
    Azzo.

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    I took a web page printout from digital point and they matched it without quibble.

The only reason I thought about recording to RW was that any disc I may have used for casual recording / re-recording, could be played on other 'play only' machines with prog scan.
    That and the fact that DVD-RW discs are loads cheaper than RAM.

Never mind though, I aint complaining. The machine is absolutely brilliant in every other respect. And I've heard that Panasonic are going to drop the price of RAM discs quite considerably.

I like the idea of buying a 2nd DMRE50. At this price its still a great deal, and the machine is slim enough for this to be fairly practical too.

However, I'm probably more likely to go for a cheap PC drive that will read a RAM disc. Then copy the contents to a DVD-R on my Pioneer 106.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Na dont need a second DMR e50. The player I have is around £90 - £100 but it is great plays everything including RAM. I didnt pay for it, won it in a competition

10. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    harrisuk, you didn't say what player you had, does it play caddy DVD-RAM?
    Jules, I guess I should have printed out a different web page, only I thought Richer didn't price match other companies web pages. I got a cheap DVD-RAM recorder (pany 9571) last week from scan for 70 including VAT from their today only page. It reads caddy DVD-RAM too! Its a little slow at DVD-RW though (single speed)
    Azzo.

11. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just got one for £227. Richer Sounds not only match web prices, they beat them! In this case a £10 saving on the digital point price. Nice :)

12. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Jules and Bobones I have just returned mine to Richer sounds as the picture use to hicup (or glitch) on the RGB pass-through (also when record) It did this during a fast cut scene or some advert breaks, have you noticed this? I thought it was a multi-region thing.
    Azzo.

13. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Can't say I've noticed this Azzo.
    Mind you, I only tried an RGB recording once.

For ease of use, I connect the AV4 in/out sockets to my AV Amplifier using S-Video.
    With everything else going via S-Video to the amp it's the simplest way to operate it.
    Anyway, I was still well chuffed with the quality of the S-Video recording so I don't feel I'm missing much.

Tell you what I did notice though.... with the AV Amp connected to the AV4 input on the DMRE50, AND with the SKY+ box connected to AV2, and with the DMRE50 set to AV4 (no probs on any other input)..., whenever I pressed the 'display' button on the DMRE50 the picture and sound would get stuck like a broken record.
    I figured it was some kind of looping problem and unplugged the scart lead to the Sky box. Now it works fine and I'm still very, very chuffed with it.

14. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Azzo, mine did this too, but I managed to fix/work round it!

I had the E50's AV1 connected to my Sony tv's AV2 (composite/svideo only) because it's the only scart on the tv that outputs Q-Link/SmartLink info. I used this to download tuning information from my tv. My Nokia 221T was connected to the E50's AV2 scart, thus using passthrough although an RGB signal wasn't reaching the tv.

When it was like this and I was viewing the E50's tuner channels, the picture intermittently jumped and lost colour. However, when I plugged the E50's AV1 into my tv's AV1 (the RGB compatible scart), the glitching stopped, and it now appears to work perfectly.

I'm not really sure what was going here - maybe something to do with smartlink itself, or the fact that the tv was set to output AV1 on AV2 - but since I don't need smartlink now and want RGB, I'm happy to connect the E50 to AV1 on my telly.

I'm still learning how to use the machine properly, but I'm pretty happy so far. Perhaps you should get your machine back and try a different scart on your tv.

15. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Azzo, on reading your post again, I'm not sure if it's the same issue I had. If yours is "tearing" as described in other posts here, then that's not what I saw. I'll do some more testing with mine shortly.

If you've got a sky box, perhaps reducing the contrast on it would be a fix for this. Don't know really.

16. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I tried absoultely everything I could think of to get rid of this problem, but sadly gave in. It was only the RGB pass through, and as I only have one RGB scart on the TV couldn't try any other socket. I am very impressed with machine still and will probably try to source a R2 machine or even an E60.
    Happy recording.
    Didn't somebody say 'It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all!' well thats how I feel about my panny!!!!!
    Azzo.

17. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    bobones didn't read your last post, but Yep its a sort of tearing.
    if you look down the threads its the one which read E50 and RGB problems or something like that.
    Azzo.

18. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have heard of people having similar problems with the JS RGB convertors and plasma screens. I'm just wondering if the input was being overloaded and if reducing the contrast on the sky box's output would alleviate it. Try searching the plasma forum for "tearing".

So far mine seems to be working fine with RGB passthrough. The only slight annoyance is that the optical digital audio signal overrides the analogue when a recording starts so that I hear what I'm recording instead of what I'm watching. The easy workaround is to manually switch my av amp to analogue on that input. (I have tv output connected with phonos, dvd player with co-ax digital, and E50 connected with optical digital, all on 1 input and I don't do any audio/video switching on the amp (E800) when I watch tv, freeview, dvd or E50).

19. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Anyone noticed lip-synch issues on recordings?
    I have.... now I've seen it I can't stop noticing it. It appears quite bad and may be reason enough for me to return it!
    Perhaps the result of the multi-region hack?

20. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't think this problem is related. It was a very strange problem which happened when when scene cut to the next, never during a scene.
    I am not so worried now. I will wait for a few more weeks till prices come down and look at the market then.
    Glad you have a goodan.
    Azzo.