1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a new PW6 and love it but problems with sound sync

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by taxman, Sep 20, 2004.

1. taxman

taxman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to several pieces of very useful advice I took the plunge and bought a PW6 last week. Initial impressions are that I love the picture quality.

My set up is:
    Cable box linked to JS RGB to VGA converter (from which picture goes to PW6 and sound goes to Sony DAV s550).
    Sony DAV s550 connected to PW6 via component.

Absolutely no complaints on DVD playback.

However I notice an ever so slight gap between sound and picture when watching cable tv. Is this normal? Is this just a symptom of using the JS converter box? Or am I missing something or I have done something wrong?

I also note that whilst the time lag between sound and picture is only slight when my amp is set to normal sound ("Auto Decode") - however when I change the sound setting to Normal Surround or Cinema Studio Ex A, B or C or any of the other settings the the sound/vision gap seems to increase and is much more noticeable.

Any advice much appreciated (as this is the only niggling factor for me at the moment on my new kit).

Thanks

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hmmm. Interesting. That's exactly the set up I'm thinking about going for (Js Tech and Davs550 kit).

Might not be the VGA convertors fault - might just be that the time the sony takes to process the sound is slower than the the PW6 can process the video signal (unless you hear teh sound before the lips move - in which case it /is/ probably the JS Tech box). From memory the 550 has quite a few configurable settings - is there an audio delay function in there somewhere????

ZedZed

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I also notice this on my PWD6 (arrived last thursday)
    But if you flick through the music channels, some have delay, some don't.
    If you look very closely at your CRT TV very closely the same is true.

My theory is, that some of the channels have always had a delay, but the picture
    was so small (comparatively) that we didn't notice before.

After all, the plasma processing is not going to alter from channel to channel (is it??)

Picture quality on most channels is MAGIC (britney looks great at 42")
    I also go SCARTs sky to dvd to js box to plasma

4. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Taxman and welcome to the forums :)
    What PJClark1 says is all true even with $ky. The lower ranked channels always seem to have some sync errors.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The differences with the DAVS programs are a bit baffling, it gets further apart when it's doing more processing, from that description! Should be the other way round. The problem is pretty standard though, some STB's are more prone than others, and doubtless so are some watchers! The cure is an audio delay function somewhere in your system. It's built in to some high end scalers, and surprisingly mid range amps. Sometimes mucking around with the speaker distances can help enourmously. Try telling the system your centre speaker needs surgical removal from your head, keeping the other distances normal. This theoretically tells it to delay the sound to the centre, where most of the speech comes from. Denon amps often have a 'global audio delay' function, the 3805 certainly has, I have not yet had a good look at the 2805 to know, but maybe.

6. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's the variance that annoys me. I wouldn't mind if there was a standard delay that could be compensated for but it varies to such a degree and at differing times of the day so it makes it impossible. Don't know that it's all sky fault though, I've had sky for years on 32" w/s and 42" plasma and have never seen the length of delay that I saw at my mate's house on his pio 434 last week on BBC1 and sky sports 1 the weekend before.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Personally I find Pioneers in general, and HDE's in particular, to be the worst offenders in the lip sync department. Though a processor makes things pretty grim on any plasma, that's why DVDO put audio delay into the iscan HD