Just got a DSLR drone gimbal. Any advice is welcome.

Discussion in 'Drone Forum' started by photojunky, Oct 27, 2017.

1. photojunky

photojunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Anyone have any photos of their DSLR drone gimbal setups? Not exactly sure how I am going to mount it but I do have a lot of extra carbon fiber sheets from a previous project.

DSLR Camera Gimbal. Any advice is appreciated.

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,638
    I would question that drones lift capability with a full size dslr. Hex or octo would be a more common solution for that sort of weight.

Personally I would look at a larger platform with larger batteries and greater lift.

3. photojunky

photojunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It should be ok. I flew it with a 5 pound weight like it was nothing for about 7 minutes. If it is not powerful enough, I guess I will have a new project. My wife will just love that :)

4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,638
    The gimbal will pull at least 1 amp - probably significantly more, so this will also affect battery life. I assume you will also use a video downlink, so again this needs factoring in to battery life.

Certainly longer legs will solve your mounting issue. You may need new brackets and I would buy these rather than attempting to fabricate them, as they will most likely be lighter and stronger.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do :)

5. photojunky

photojunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks for all the great advice. I plan on using a separate battery to power everything else but the Drone itself. I think it would be more efficient and simpler using a battery to power the Gimbal and transmitter since they are within the same voltage operating range. I would have to use a step down voltage thingy for the 6S battery which would add just a little more weight. As far as the camera goes, I will just use the camera battery. I am using a similar setup but with just a GoPro gimbal which is far less voltage demanding. My plan is to use a battery that will last for maybe two flights keeping the weight down before needing a charge. Thanks again for your input.

6. photojunky

photojunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Okay, you guys got into my head. I literally woke up in the middle of the night stressing about whether my hexacopter would be able to carry the giant gimbal I just bought plus one of my cameras. The video is of my drone lifting 7.5 lb which is how much the gimbal Plus my heaviest camera, a Canon 70D weighs. Thankfully, the hexacopter had no problem whatsoever lifting this weight. I could probably have done the test with a 10-pound dumbbell as well but I really don't plan on using that much equipment on this drone. Anyway, if you would like to see the short test have at it.
    Gimbal Lift Test 7 5 Lbs

7. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,638
    Longer legs it is then!

It's always a trade off between flight time, size and weight. Just check the batteries are not being over stressed and getting too hot and that there is enough capacity within the motors and ESC to respond to correction demands when flying.

TBH, it looks a lot bigger there than in your original video and you have good sized props, so I guess 10lb lifting is within its capabilities.

8. photojunky

photojunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would guess it looked smaller because the booms were not unfolded. Yeah, this thing is a monster. I have another one almost identical with slightly smaller motors and 15in props instead of 18. That one can also lift some decent weight.