• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

just found this on skys website

neilmcl

Prominent Member
Well done, good find. It's how I suspected the pricing would be, ie you only get the HD sports or movies if you already subscribe to the SD version. Also looks like they're finally getting closer to releasing some proper information regarding pricing etc.

acemelhaz

Established Member
i went to the sky website and clicked on current offers at the bottom it says test hd so i dont think it was supposed to appear on there main website ooopsss
so does this mean we dont have to pay an extra subsciption then the way its worded if you have the normal channel like movies , sports etc then you get the hd version ??????

neilmcl

Prominent Member
justdoit said:
Reads to me like there is going to be no extra subs for the HD channels as long as you subscribe to that mix.
It's not how I read it. You pay the HD sub and you get x channels and you also get sports HD and/or movies HD if you already subscribe to SD versions.

neilmcl

Prominent Member
acemelhaz said:
i went to the sky website and clicked on current offers at the bottom it says test hd so i dont think it was supposed to appear on there main website ooopsss
Those naughty website developers, I bet they're contractors ;)

HeweyBoy101

Established Member
So, if I read this right, if I buy an HD set top box, and if I already have a full sky premium subscription (Sport & Movies), then I pay nothing more to have the HD channels?

hurdy

Established Member
I think it's the opposite - you pay an HD sub for the facility. For that you get Skyone etc and SBO.

If you have a premium channel sub then you get the corresponding HD versions too.

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
HeweyBoy101 said:
So, if I read this right, if I buy an HD set top box, and if I already have a full sky premium subscription (Sport & Movies), then I pay nothing more to have the HD channels?

I hope that we are both right as I read it that way as well.

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
HeweyBoy101 said:

Not how I read it.

I read it you pay a Hd sub lets say a tenner.

If you had nothing but the basic sky package the extra tenner would get you

Sky one HD
national Geo HD
Artsworld HD
Discovery HD
Sky box office HD

If you have the full sky sub + the hd sub you would also get
Sky Movies HD
Sky Sports HD

daKlone

Established Member
hurdy said:
I think it's the opposite - you pay an HD sub for the facility. For that you get Skyone etc and SBO.

If you have a premium channel sub then you get the corresponding HD versions too.

Nope, I think that when they refer to "buying SkyHD" they are talking about buying the box, not a subscription.

For instance, if you have the "Knowledge Mix" already, you'd buy a SkyHD box and get all your usual SD channels PLUS Nat Geo HD and Discovery HD.

Similarly, if you already have the "Variety Mix", you'd buy a SkyHD box and get all those channels PLUS Sky One HD.

"Style & Culture Mix"? Get a Sky HD box and get Artsworld HD as an extra.

Sports and movies will be just the same. I imagine that everyone with an HD box will be able to access Box Office HD (since it's PPV).

If you look at it like this, there's no way Sky could really charge an extra subscription for what - one channel? (if you only had, for instance, "Variety Mix")

Once more HD channels are available maybe it'll change, but that's how I think it'll work at first.

Unfortunately, all this points to a rather expensive box price IMHO :(

daKlone

Established Member
Noggin1980 said:
Not how I read it.

I read it you pay a Hd sub lets say a tenner.

If you had nothing but the basic sky package the extra tenner would get you

Sky one HD
national Geo HD
Artsworld HD
Discovery HD
Sky box office HD

If you have the full sky sub + the hd sub you would also get
Sky Movies HD
Sky Sports HD

But think about it - what you are suggesting just doesn't fit into Sky's current way of delivering packages (mixes) of channels, so unless they are scrapping that I think your suggestion would make things too complicated.

Plus, the whole point of the "mixes" is to have targeted packages of programming - why would I pay for Artsworld in HD when I don't watch it in SD??

The way I described it in my previous post gives EVERYONE something in HD in their "mix" - so a reason for any subscriber to buy a Sky HD box!

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
that actually sounds like there might be a separate sub for HD.

note that it says 'any' mix, and you get blah blah blah. Discovery and Sky one are in separate mixes currently, so with this method you'd get skyone HD and discovery even with only a two mix setup that might not have the SD versions. Leads me to think 'HD' sub on top

hurdy

Established Member
The SkyHD website has a whole section dedicated to a HD subscription. When that section is removed or there is official confirmation to the contrary then I'll believe there won't be a sub.

The only thing I know for certain is that there are plenty of people who read the same information in different ways - kind of sums up Sky's approach to the whole thing

neilmcl

Prominent Member
daKlone said:
But think about it - what you are suggesting just doesn't fit into Sky's current way of delivering packages (mixes) of channels, so unless they are scrapping that I think your suggestion would make things too complicated.

Plus, the whole point of the "mixes" is to have targeted packages of programming - why would I pay for Artsworld in HD when I don't watch it in SD??

The way I described it in my previous post gives EVERYONE something in HD in their "mix" - so a reason for any subscriber to buy a Sky HD box!
Think of the HD service as a whole separate mix. You buy the box and pay a sub for the HD "mix" which will also include sports and/or movies if you already subscribe to these premium channels. I don't see that as being too complicated.

daKlone

Established Member
hurdy said:
The only thing I know for certain is that there are plenty of people who read the same information in different ways - kind of sums up Sky's approach to the whole thing

Yeah, but to be fair to Sky they haven't even launched the thing yet! :)

daKlone

Established Member
neilmcl said:
Think of the HD service as a whole separate mix. You buy the box and pay a sub for the HD "mix" which will also include sports and/or movies if you already subscribe to these premium channels. I don't see that as being too complicated.

Thats entirely possible I suppose.

It just seems a bit odd that, for instance, if you have an HD subscription but not the "Style & Culture" mix, you can watch the HD version of Artsworld but not the SD version?

And also that doesn't really add up with the movies and sport then - so all the other HD channels would be in their own "mix", but you'd need the movies as well to get HD movies and sport to get HD sport. So in effect, your HD subscription actually only gets you SkyOne, Artsworld, Discovery & Nat Geo?

Can't see many people paying a lot for that!

I dunno - the answers will arrive in due course I suppose :rolleyes:

Oh, and I hope everyone got a good look at the page in the OP, cos Sky have taken it down now by the looks of things. :(

neilmcl

Prominent Member
daKlone said:
So in effect, your HD subscription actually only gets you SkyOne, Artsworld, Discovery & Nat Geo?

Can't see many people paying a lot for that!(
Well yes, thats why, for me, it's not worth it until there's a lot more HD content. Don't forget this is just what's available at launch, there will eventually be a lot more HD for your money, it's early days yet.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
neilmcl said:
Well yes, thats why, for me, it's not worth it until there's a lot more HD content. Don't forget this is just what's available at launch, there will eventually be a lot more HD for your money, it's early days yet.

depends how much though. I have all the main mixes, but only watch a few channels. pound for pound the HD 'mix' may actually be better value than I'm paying now.

eg pay the HD sub, then get the minimum 2 mix package. I don't need to get the entertainment or documentaries ones as I pretty much only want discovery and skyone anyway. So just kids and one other. Might actually be cheaper than my current setup (movies package)

eg £10 HD, £10 sky+, £15 2mix = £35. I'm currently paying £36. I'd miss out on skymovies HD though doing that.

M-C-P-M

Established Member
I take it to mean that if you subscribe to Sky Sports (premium service) you will get the Sports HD, but I don't subscribe to the movie (premium service) so i won't get the movie HD channel! the other channels Artsworld is free anyway so we would get that, same as the free Nat Geog channel, so we would get that, Sky 1 is also free as it is part of standard Sky package so we would all get that. Thats the way sky runs things IMO.:confused:

KIOSKMAN

Standard Member
but will there be a BBC HD and ITV HD in time for the world cup on the Sky HD platform. they will be Free channels and you will only need the HD Box. least we'll get somthing without a Sky subscription.

KIOSKMAN

Standard Member
it would be nice to know how this will work, my money is on HD being a seperate offering. but will that new HD BOX hold two card slots one for your SD subscription and one for your HD. interesting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom