1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just found this media centre alternative

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RB5 Paul, Mar 10, 2005.

1. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    http://www.hiddenspeakers.com/product/194

Just found this on the web,sorry if it's a repeat of an old thread but just read the pdf manual and it has dvi output that lists hd resolution amongst it's outputs,just wondering whether this would be a good alternative scaler for the front room rather than having a whole pc downstairs.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not seen that device mentioned before. On the face of it the spec's pretty reasonable, however it's not a DVD player and that could be a limitation, whereas something like the Momitsu V880N (at something less than £100 more) can play DVDs and those ripped to a hard disk and also can scale to 720p .. I don't see mention of scaling in connection with that device.

3. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    nope doesnt mention scaling but it does output at proper hd resolutions and it plays your dvd's,divx's etc at full screen resolution so i'd imagine there was some kind of scaling involved.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You may be right but I'd want some confirmation on that if I were considering it. The fact that it can play a DVD loaded into a PC's drive partially offsets the inability to play DVDs itself, though like the V880N it says it can only play VOBs, meaning almost certainly you don't get chapter info, menus etc. just raw MPEG/AC3 playback which leaves much to be desired in my experience.

Still, if such limitations aren't an issue then it's certainly something worth considering I'd say.

5. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Don't pay that for it. Been looking at similar for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5756282479

Also you can do wifi with it as well.