1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just found these in the loft - any info please? (photos)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Prometheus, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all

I have been up in the loft and dug these speakers out that have been up there a number of years. I picked them up at a car boot sale about 10 years ago. When I got them home they didn't work properly, so I put them to one side and forgot all about them.

I am setting up my new system I wanted something to use as my surrounds and I knew that I had some bits up in the loft. I found a set of W/dale Diamond III's, A pair of MS festival series 2's and these.

I am now interested in getting them going as I think that they might have some quality to them. They are very heavy. I thought that they were made of slate or similar, but looking at the chip on the corner (see photo) I think that they might be concrete mouldings. The comany name on them is 'Shan Acoustics' of Unit A2.08 Portview trade centre. Model 'Shimna'. A quick check on the internet turned up nothing except that there is a 'Portview trade centre' which gets a lot of hits for Belfast in Ireland ???

My question is how can I tell which bits are still OK.. I am not into DIY electronics but I'm willing to have a go with a bit of direction. I do own a soldering iron, but it is only an RS (Radio spares) butane type with multiple fine tips. Would this be OK? I have taken pictures of the drivers and the insides of the speakers. Please give me some tips on how to proceed.

Is it possible to get exact replacement drivers etc?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help that anyone might be able to offer me.

:lease: :lease: :lease: :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just found the Danish Sound Technology Website ehich had the replacements for the driver units although the serial numbers differ slightly the photos look identical and the exact serial numbers that are on my units don't seem to exist anymore. My next questionis (please excuse my ignorance). How can I tell if the woofer and tweeter are faulty or if the fault is with the wiring ( I assume crossover electronics ) inside the cabinets ( or is it enclosures - I'm trying to use the correct terminology)?

3. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember the Shan Shimnas. never owned a pair but I recall that in the late eighties/early nineties they were one of the best speakers in their class and cleared up on a lot of audio magazine supertests/awards.

No idea of what happened to the company or where you can go from here but i reckon it would be worth the effort if you can get the parts.

4. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Thanks Mike.

So far I have managed to get one of the pair working and tested on the centre channel of my setup (just had a loose connection to the binding post from the inside). I am really pleased with the sound, I now understand what is meant by the speaker disapearing in the arrangement. The audio is projected out and it is difficult to place the origin... Great. :clap:

I have been in touch with Wilmslow Audio who are the distributors of Peerless equipment in the UK. They are checking the serial numbers with Peerless in Holland for me, in order to find the most appropriate match for one of the woofers, which seems to be dead. Although I will replace both anyway so that they are matched, unless they find an exact replacement....... you never know. Thankfully both of the tweeters are working OK. So with a bit of luck, and a tiny bit of soldering and they will be up and running (touch wood).

Thanks for your feedback it's nice to know that they were highly rated. I'd still love to hear more about Shan Acoustics if anyone knows anything, better still a review from an old magazine or something would be fantastic. :D

Thanks again Mike.
    Dave.