1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just finished server, which mp3 software to use?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nathsea, Feb 19, 2005.

1. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all,

I have just built and installed the software on my new server (in fact my first and only server!):clap:

I`m using SME Server, and wow it was easy to set up......

I primarily am going to use this for serving mp3`s around the house, to my x-box, pc and laptop.

What I want to know is what software is the best for ripping mp3`s from cd`s to store on my server and also what is best for playing them back? Is there one package that will do it all, or will I need to seperate packages?

Thought i`d ask first before i make a complete cock-up of it ;)

Many thanks in advance

Nathan

2. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I use EAC with Lame, plenty of guides in the links section of the EAC site. :)

3. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt know there was a linux version of EAC...you did say it was sme server :cool:

Generally, I would say go to www.freshmeat.net.
    I am pretty sure you will find tool you need. I remember setting up a linux server with a php web based frontend to dynamically generate playlists and serve mp3 files to the rest of the house, but for the life of me the name slips my mind, but i do know I got it off freshmeant.net

4. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    thanks for your replies,

I`m only using the server for holding the files, and setting the drives up as network drives on my pc`s.
    so i only need a windows based mp3 program , something like i-tunes, winamp etc.

Nathan