Just finished Ready Player One.... recommendations now?

Stampax

Hi all,
Not a great reader of fiction books (I think the only other fiction I might have read in the last decade or more is the Harry Potter series), but recently read Ready Player One which was fantastic (why oh why didn't the film follow it more closely????) and just looking for recommendations for other things I might enjoy similar to that. I've seen lots of bad reviews of Ready Player Two so might well give it a go, but leave it for a little while.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Hi all,
Not a great reader of fiction books (I think the only other fiction I might have read in the last decade or more is the Harry Potter series), but recently read Ready Player One which was fantastic (why oh why didn't the film follow it more closely????) and just looking for recommendations for other things I might enjoy similar to that. I've seen lots of bad reviews of Ready Player Two so might well give it a go, but leave it for a little while.
RP1 is quite unique in terms of the pop-cultureness of it.

RP2 is fine, but not in the same league.

If you're looking to branch out, this is one of the best books I've ever read:

Amazon product

Stampax

Thanks for the recommendation - I will go for Ready Player Two, out of interest if nothing else. Have downloaded a sample of the book recommended above so will give it a go :)

ben16v

i enjoyed ready player two and another of his books called armada also enders game by orson scott card is in the same genre

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I'd second Children of Time.
I also wasn't overly enamored with ready Player 2.

Belzok

Something a bit lighthearted is Columbus Day by Craig Alanson.

Aliens invade earth, other aliens help fight them off, Joe Bishop is a grunt who saves his town and later meets, and is helped by, an alien AI named Skippy, Skippy is an asshole 😁

Nice space romp with lots of laughs throughout.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I've got that queued up now after a recommendation on here (maybe you). However, I just started Consider Phlebas after lots of rave reviews. Enjoying it so far. About 30% in.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
i enjoyed ready player two and another of his books called armada also enders game by orson scott card is in the same genre
Yes,, definitely give Armada ago. Think ready Player One meets The Last Stsrfighter. Great fun, and I'm (still) wait I g on a film adaptation.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
If you have any interest in science then I'd wholeheartedly recommend The Martian by Andy Weir. If you haven't seen the film I'd suggest reading the book first.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Is it worth reading if you have seen the film? It’s a big book isn’t it?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Is it worth reading if you have seen the film? It’s a big book isn’t it?

Defenitely. Unlike most films the overall story is pretty much the same or at least very similar but there's so much missing from the film. It's a good film but I haven't had any desire to watch it again. Just reading the book for the 3rd time and enjoying every second.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom