Just Eat and Deliveroo exposed, do you use them?

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
Watched it was a bit of a shocker, don’t use them but we don’t get much option here in Devon :)

aVdub

Distinguished Member
You need to register to watch, which I won't do.

Is there a text version available.

Chester

Sorry, I'm just curious, what's the issue with registering an account on the BBC network for iPlayer?

IronGiant

Not watched it either but I suspect it's about how you think you're buying from a High Street Retailer but the reality is that they are setting up Factory Scale Kitchens on Industrial Estates:

"Panorama investigates how planning laws are being subverted and food safety legislation flouted in the battle to sell whatever consumers want to eat, whenever and wherever they want to eat it. Reporter Tina Daheley lifts the lid on the secrets of the takeaway industry." The clip also has the reporter posing as a customer with a food allergy, so you can guess where they are going with that segment.

Chester

There's lots more to the report than just the synopsis. Since Tina's done a good job of reporting on several connected issues, it's worthwhile having a look.

SyStemDeMoN

Not watched it either but I suspect it's about how you think you're buying from a High Street Retailer but the reality is that they are setting up Factory Scale Kitchens on Industrial Estates:

"Panorama investigates how planning laws are being subverted and food safety legislation flouted in the battle to sell whatever consumers want to eat, whenever and wherever they want to eat it. Reporter Tina Daheley lifts the lid on the secrets of the takeaway industry." The clip also has the reporter posing as a customer with a food allergy, so you can guess where they are going with that segment.
That's true for some deliveroo places but the Just eat part was about how some take aways have very low hygiene ratings and its not picked up on the website. Also they ordered some food and told them they had allergies but it was still delivered with nuts or wheat in.

That's true for some deliveroo places but the Just eat part was about how some take aways have very low hygiene ratings and its not picked up on the website. Also they ordered some food and told them they had allergies but it was still delivered with nuts or wheat in.
Useful. Maybe just me but if I had concerns in any of these areas I wouldn’t order online and do my own research. I wouldn’t rely on the courier or postie to provide me that.

To me it’s just a convenience thing, saves me from having to go out and wait.

SyStemDeMoN

The times I have used them in the past it has always been from somewhere I know and they dont take card payments over the phone and I have no cash in the house.

They are pretty useless when things go wrong though. I waited 2 hours for a delivery and when It came the food was cold. They refunded me but by this time it was very late so my options to go elsewhere were very limited.

mjn

Distinguished Member
I’m very picky which fast food places i use. And would give most of them a wide birth. Their standards of food hygiene and mine, differ greatly.

I’ve had food poisoning before and I don’t wish to have it again. One of the worst illnesses i’ve ever experienced.

Last edited:

reiteration

it's on youtube and that's where I saw it...the main issue from what I recall is that deliveroo have options for a specific type of restaurant (forget the term) - and it means that the food is cooked by them in some dingy little unit instead of the restaurant themselves.. :(

Desmo

Distinguished Member
If you ever got to see the kitchens of many restaurants & takeaways (and I have), you'd rarely eat from them anyway :laugh:

Grimley

If you ever got to see the kitchens of many restaurants & takeaways (and I have), you'd rarely eat from them anyway :laugh:
one or two of the restaurants I used to deliver to when I delivered linen to them many years ago, i wouldn't either. I used to get a note saying don't deliver there for a month, that was usually because environmental health had paid them a visit without warning & had shut them down or given a set time to improve for hygiene reasons.

I normally use the food hygiene standards website before I try places..
Food Standards Agency - Search for food hygiene ratings
Agreed, though I have bought takeaways from places with a 1 star rating & been luckily OK after eating.