• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

:-( Just dropped ipod, something broken!

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Knew it would happen one day, just dropped my ipod! Fell about 4ft, landed flat on the metal side on the concrete!

Problem is, battery was dead, so I hurried inside, plugged it into my mains charger and.... nothing! Wouldn't charge!

Plugging it into the PC however, it is charging. Half hour I gave it to get a half bar of charge, then took it downstairs, plugged it into AVR and fired it up. Well, at least it is playing and all functions seem to work (showing all my music, click wheel working, is playing fine etc etc)

However there was a rattle inside. After a brief look on tinterweb, I found a guide showing how to open the case up, so I did. And found the culprit!

6prcp41.jpg

This little thing has broken off :( Looks like a tiny little copper coil like thingy - I have no idea what it is, but it's a little bit of black plastic with a tiny copper coil inside it, no idea what the copper is wrapped around!

Appears to have been attached to the PCB by two solder points, but these are TINY (and I mean tiny) and close together, and I don't have a soldering iron or steady hand! I doubt very much if I could resolder it - maybe if it was 10times bigger, but not at this level!

Thing is, it seems to charge off my PC by the data cable, but not off my mains charger (which has a data cable end on it) which worked fine the other day, so I doubt it's the charger and more likely whatever this thing is. Is it a voltage reducer or something? Sure, could be coincidence that my charger has gone kaput at exactly the same time, but I suspect unlikely...

Anyone help me please!!!!!

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I wonder whether the component is perhaps an inductor (which uses a coil). The inductor may be part of the circuit that smooths the incoming power from the charger. If it is detached from the PCB then the charger's circuit is broken (ie open circuit), which at least is better than a short circuit. It may be that the PC uses a different part of the circuit board to charge the battery.

Bottom line is that it would probably cost quite alot to get it repaired, unless you know someone who is practiced at surface mount component repair, so you may just have to use your PC to charge it and live without the mains charger.:(

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I was wondering something like that myself - obviosuly not with the techincal stuff there, but along those lines...

Thing is, the mains charger outputs 3-12v and 150-600mA (don't let that fool you, I still have no idea what I am on about) and I know the USB can only output upto 12v aswell, so it's the same sort of power output from both....

Am charging it on the PC now, will give a full charge and see how long it lasts incase it has done any other damage to it....

Thing is the mains charger is so usefull as at work (in my van or in workshop) I have no PC with USB to use so no way to charge it except from the mains. Same if I go away somewhere - like when I went to New York I was charging it every 2 days as it was taking a battering! Will be screwed if I can't do that kind of thing anymore :( Either need to get it fixed or get a new one :(

Am gutted, this is one of the best little "toys" i have ever bought and it has become such a "daily use" item, like a mobile phone to an extent! In fact I use this MORE than I do a mobile phone :(

spl23

Thing is, the mains charger outputs 3-12v and 150-600mA (don't let that fool you, I still have no idea what I am on about) and I know the USB can only output upto 12v aswell, so it's the same sort of power output from both....

USB outputs a nominal 5V, not 12V, if that's any help. Does your mains charger have a switch on it to set the output voltage, because that is a hell of a range of output from 3 to 12 V? I would suspect that it is a standard charger designed to emulate combinations of 1.5V batteries, so it would be giving the iPod either 4.5V (which is too low) or 6V (which is too high).

To be honest, if your iPod still charges ok off USB, I'd try getting an official iPod charger from Apple and see if that works - I'm amazed it hasn't died from the charger you've been using if it really is 3-12V!

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I'm only going on what the little sticker says on the back of the plug, and it doesn't have a switch on it at all....

It charged fine on the plug, even charged nice and quickly too :)

Not any more tho :(

spl23

For what it's worth, I think you're lucky not to have damaged the iPod sooner using that charger - iPods are notoriously sensitive to overvoltage via the USB connection, especially the 5G and the Touch.

I'm still trying to work out how the charger you mention can work - I'd guess it is current-limited rather than fixed-voltage, but you really don't want to be using something like that with an iPod. At a guess, the charger you use effectively sets its voltage according to the resistance it sees from the device you connect it to, and by losing what sounds like an inductor from the power supply circuitry, you have changed the resistance and hence the voltage is now no longer correct. Whether it is no longer correct by being too high or too low, I wouldn't like to guess, but neither will do the iPod any good.

Throw that charger away and buy the official Apple part - that puts out a proper regulated 5V. If the iPod still charges from USB, the Apple charger should work.

For what it's worth, if you are looking to buy third-party accessories for anything electronic, power supplies are the one thing that it isn't worth saving money on. If a slightly iffy third party charger blows up your iPod / phone / whatever, your warranty is invalid. You're not going to do much damage with a third party case or headphones, but you really want "official" power!

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I do see what you are saying, and I have no idea how the charger works, but I get your gist....

thing is I don't wanna spend £20 on an Apple charger to find out it still don't work........

spl23

Have a look on ebay - you can find official chargers on there for a lot less than 20 quid.

Alternatively, take it to an Apple Store or a Mac dealer and ask them to let you try it with one of their power supplies.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Thats a very good point (about apple store) ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom