Just discovered the opposite of [explicit] lyrics

Foebane72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Johnny Cash album on Amazon and discovered that the downloaded MP3s have [clean] tagged all over them, and thought that initially the audio had been cleaned up to get rid of pops and clicks, etc.

Should've realised. I already have albums marked [explicit] so I was used to that, but then I figured, this is Johnny Cash, he tells interesting stories with local slang in his songs, so what has he sung that's so offensive?

How about "A Boy Named Sue"?

Didn't know about the bad language in that, it seems possibly his most famous song is also controversial, having been BLEEPED out by censors back in the 60s! I think the insult involves the words "son" and "bitch".

I was rather annoyed at this at first, but it seems an uncensored version is hard to find, but I think it's the manner in which the BLEEP occurs that's so bad, it just takes you out of the song, or it did me, on my first hearing of it. It's so jarring: BEEEEEEEEP.

But then again, it's the only song bleeped out (then again, the only song to have rude words) and I really liked the album a lot as it was - there's the song about Vietnam that I actually applauded, not to mention The Man in Black.

Johnny Cash is an inspiration, but the censors aren't. Oh well, I'll just treat the BLEEP like a novelty, now that I know what's said.

I can't think of any album in my collection that is censored.

Probably gangsta rapper releases from the 1990s onwards, not an otherwise wholesome family country + western singer from the 1960s, so I'm not surprised.

I wouldn't know, there's no gangsta rap in my 1000+ CD's, but plenty of other's with swearing ranging in styles from Rage against the machine to Lily Allen.

All I'm saying is that I'm not aware of any censorship in my collection, so I shouldn't really be in here. :)

There are uncensored versions around.

Johnny Cash – A Boy Named Sue - Live Version

Plenty of other versions there to check out. I guess when releasing an old track there's a decision to be made as to whether to keep it historically accurate to the original release.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom