Answered Just did the Oppo 203 firmware update for Dolby Vision but on the LG 65e6v Oled it's disappointing

D

Deleted member 507786

Trying Discapable me 2 on 4k with Dolby Vision on the LG 65e6v Oled TV I can't see why the fuss is about? Has anyone else tried it?

I didn't try the HDR picture before doing the upgrade but you can tell it's not good on Dolby Vision.

Help please. Thanks.

From the Blu-ray DM thread

As I mentioned yesterday in the thread there was a way to get the Oppo to bypass the DV to revert to HDR10. In order to achieve this, make sure the disc is stopped, go in the video settings all you have to do is change the HDR setting from “Auto” to “Forced,” do a power cycle, with the power setting set to “Energy Efficient”. The next time you start the movie it will be in HDR10. To switch back to DV, go back into the HDR setting and set it back to “Auto”, power cycle, and then when the movie starts up again, it’ll be in DV.

If you want to compare the two HDR standards.

How many nits should I set the Oppo 203 to? I had it on 300 nits but just turned it up to 600 nits, is that right? Thanks.

How many nits should I set the Oppo 203 to? I had it on 300 nits but just turned it up to 600 nits, is that right? Thanks.
Unless you are using the HDR setting 'Strip Metadata', 'Target Luminance' is irrelevant. I assume you are using an HDR setting of 'Auto' or 'Forced'.

Last edited:

If you are using the Strip metadata feature set target luminance to what 100 IRE shows on your tv. On the E6, that is 130 nits. So set the OPPO closest to that number, which is 150. BTW, Strip metadata feature on the 203 does not work properly. Everything below 7% is crushed to 0.

Doesn't surprise me oled cannot reach high nits so it will never look as good as on a led.

Actually, the DV metadata is said to almost be designed for OLED as it allows a far better dynamic range on the pciture than just normal HDR10 - all the comments I've seen so far say DV on OLED is a big step up over HDR10 in terms of the range available and even the extra detail.

All my HDR Netflix shows are now DV is that right? If it says 4k ultra HD there's no HDR?

Doesn't surprise me oled cannot reach high nits so it will never look as good as on a led.

What relevance has your post got to do with the OP's question? I really do not see the need for your opinion in this thread!

What relevance has your post got to do with the OP's question? I really do not see the need for your opinion.....

Had to amend your comment to properly reflect the situation.

Can we all chill out a little? This is only a forum to chat about tvs after all! Hardly worth getting all worked up about. Especially seeing as whats been happening in the Uk and around the world this year. If you don't like the comments from a forum member then just block them. That's what I've done with one member whose posts were slightly annoying.

As I see it, whilst I'm more likely to buy an OLED as my next tv to replace my ageing plasma, it does seem that LED tvs give you a better HDR experience as they are able to produce a much brighter image. Perhaps an LED tv would better for my lounge where there blinds are always up and hence the room has a lot of light, but in my tv room I tend to reduce the light and would consider black out blinds an option when watching movies or certain tv programmes so an OLED would be a better option.

If I had the money I'd be happy to try the 2 tv option.

All my HDR Netflix shows are now DV is that right? If it says 4k ultra HD there's no HDR?

That's correct, anything that says 4K ultra is just standard 4k.
HDR content will have the Dolby Vision logo.

I really cant for the life of me see how people say oled's are not bright, my E6 can hurt my eyes at times with some hdr material being too bright, why would anyone want to have it brighter if it actually is uncomfortable to view?

Personally my E6 is more than bright enough, and thats ISF calibrated too, on dynamic/vivid modes its just crazy, but the mere fact it can be so bright directly next to inky black with no bleeding/blooming is worth every penny, no way would I be delving back into lcd.

Yup, ok, keep telling yourself that. Why do you lcd owners bleat on about nits all the time, its not just about nits.
more nits = more dynamic range
i'm just explaining to him in simple terms why it looks disappointing.

@rick19011 move along please. As in the umpteenth OLED thread you've made your point. Now stop winding people up. :nono:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom