1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Did it!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hansrob9, Jan 6, 2005.

1. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered my panasonic ae700 from 123 Electricals. 1229.99 including Saturday delivery. So I should get this in a couple of days... :clap:

So now I am going to be able to concentrate on getting some decent sources to feed it. My old lecson dvd is getting decommissioned...

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Silly boy. :devil:

Now the upgrade cycle begins. ;)

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Nice one. :smashin:

Now then. Bracket/shelf, screen, cables, conduit, new DVD player, more cables, HTPC, new amp, sub, speakers, more cables...

if you're lucky you may even get a chance to watch a few DVD's!

:devil: ...PJ

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What a damned strange thing to want to do with an HTPC-based system, surely twiddle FFDSHOW is what it's all about? :p

5. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't that the beauty of it ? ;-)

So far on my standard TV I have managed to watch 2-4 DVD a week, I am planning to continue on the same trend...

Now, where do I get a good screen for this baby?

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :rotfl:

Not gone the HTPC route yet, don't see me having the time to sort it, especially as I have to spend so much time on this forum now... ;)

...PJ

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Fixed - make one yourself (MDF) and save yourself a lot of money, then paint it with screen goo and spend all the money you saved ;)

Pull down - cheapo route - buy a blind, proper route - lots of options but not cheap!

Lots of other variations, blackout material stretched over a frame seems popular.

Told your other half yet that you won't be spending much time with her in the forseeable future? ;) ...PJ

PS separate forum on projector screens v. useful!

8. peter123

peter123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not bad but you could have saved 30£ by ordering from godigital

cheers

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    I went the frame and blackout cloth route, then later upgraded the material to some Ellie 1.2 gain stuff. The BO cloth and frame cost under £30 all in, but proper screen material can cost £50 and up. In my case it was a small improvment, which to my mind makes the BO cloth hard to beat for value/performance. Pics on my website if you're interested.

As PJTX100 mentioned, there are many ways of making you're own screen, and painting a wall with three good coats of matt white paint is probably the cheapest, and will give you something not much different to a plain white screen.

Gary.

10. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I am going to start with some home made cheapo (some white sheets) so I can gauge the image size I'll be confortable with.

After that I have *very* tempted by the electric screen route. I know that's expensive, but that looks pretty cool as well ;-)

Anyway, that's for another time (and forum) so for now, I am going to quietly wait for the delivery man (where the f*** is he :suicide: ?)

11. 3wrLcs

3wrLcs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did it as well today, should get it tomorrow, paid £1300 with £100 of other items which will probably be a screen once I've decided on the size.

Brendan

12. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done. That was my initial plan but didn't manage to put the order before the deadline, so had to revert to the £30 extra to get it on saturday.

What screen are you going to project on?

13. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I have been trying every 'home made' screen option this last week as I sold my Grandview electric screen on here in the summer. What a costly mistake! :mad:

My evaluation so far.

1. Roller blind. Awful. To thin. You can see all of the fleks in the material unless you buy a dearer blind. Where though ? - imo most blinds are equal.

2. Black out material. Closer to fibre glass type screen material but not enough gain in the material in my opinion. can create a noisy picture.

3. Plain, smooth plasterboard wall painted with three odd coats of white paint. Very very good. Appears to have far more gain than the black out blind. I am going with this at the mo as the black level on my PJ is FANTASTIC! May test ice storm at some point.

I had a roll of screen flock delivered today so I will cut that to size over the weekend and make a nice velvet look border.

Hope this helps.

PS, refer to the screen forum. Zombie Donkey has an excellent example of a home made MDF screen :smashin:

Cap :)

14. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Black level is another area where the Ht1000 excells - especialy with the iris shut. Add the Hoya FL-Day, and it takes another step in the black level. :)

Gary.

15. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received the 700 on saturday morning :clap: and as all would expect, I immediatly spent some time setting it up. I have the benefit of being able to black out completely my front room, so daylight wasn't an issue. A white sheet was quickly setup, DVD player hooked up the projector, and... wow!! This was the childhood dream of having my own cinema come true.
    Obviously, I need a screen, which is what I am going to do next, and a new DVD player, as mine is actually more noisy than the projector !! :suicide:

One of the thing I really like about the 700 is the x2 zoom. This is really a killer feature for anyone getting into home projection as image size can be adjusted a lot, projector position in the room is very flexible and allows testing various image sizes, etc... I can't comment on relative picture quality with the other projectors but to me this zoom makes the difference.

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I went down the wooden frame & blackout material path and the results are great. I can't compare it to anything apart from shining it on a wall (which it beats hands down) but i'm very happy with the picture I get on it from my Epson TW10H. The wood cost around £5, the material about £7 and the paint (Blackboard paint for the border) around £5. I also needed a staple gun which cost another £5. So for £17 (cost of materials, excluding tools like staple gun) this is great quality for what you pay! I could actually do with making a 7" one though as the picture only just fits on my 6" screen with minimum zoom as it is! :thumbsup:. The beauty of PJ's is that all I have to do is build a bigger screen and as I have a load of wood left, this should only cost me around £10! Not bad for getting another ft on your picture!