1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just demoed the Rel q150

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Brox, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to Sevenoaks in Reading to listen to the Rel q150 sub, here are my thoughts:

It goes deep, surprisingly so especially for such a small box and I may get it largely for that reason alone. However I don't know if it was because it was being used with small satelite speakers or its position (firing into the side of the sofa i was sitting on) but I didn't think it integrated very well it seemed to be either there or not rather than seamlessly blending in.

It didn't seem particularly fast when in 'Depth' mode and you could sort of feel the driver moving in and out by the sound - like a deep machine gun, in slam mode this disappeared and the sound was smoother.

I've come home and played the sames scenes on my Kef 20B after taking someones advice and increasing the output from the amp, and to be honest the 20B is definately not as deep but it is fast with no boomyness although it can't fill the room as well.

To be honest though, if the Kef went deeper it would be a better sound to my ears.

All in all though if I can get away with it (need to do a sound check with the neighbours) I may get it for the depth alone.

After reading all the comments on the Rel I realise it isn't the favorite - but i want something small.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    That could be a very expensive mistake. Be careful about what you do. This is not the way to buy a sub for long term enjoyability.

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some years ago, when there wasn't a huge range of small subwoofers on the market, I actually used a pair of KEF subs for an install in a very nice penthouse apartment in Madrid (5 mins from Real Madrid's stadium). In fact, I prefer the KEF's to the 150 simply because the sounds less cohesive and loose with a much tighter response all around.

Depth at masive distortion levels can be acheived by any largish driver in an MDF box. This is not the only criteria of subwoofing. Listening at length to something like the 150 at high volumes can be fatiguing purely for this reason.

4. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uncle Eric you may know the answer to this - would connecting the Kef with 1 to 2 phone cable make any difference? at the moment I have a single phone connectuing the sub to the amp.

Thanks for your reply, I do like the Kef I just wanted more depth.

5. bladeboy

bladeboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure I saw somebody post on this board that he tried the 1 to 2 phono cable to his sub and it DID make a difference, can't remember what difference he said he heard though

bb

6. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that was me - nobody answered my question so I tried it myself on the advice of Kef.

Made a noticable difference, bit more depth, and slam, bit more volume.

worth the £5 it cost for the cable.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Phone cable? Hello, who is there ... ? ;) :D

But seriously: using a Y-cable / adapter will result in a higher level fed into the subwoofer.

Someone told me this will also prevent the sub from picking up any noise from the unused input though I am not sure if that is true.