just busted a sherwood 8090

J

Jesus H

it was running fine one night and sounded great, i then routed the bass through the main speakers as there is no subwoofer and the thing started cutting out, i.e. shuttting down. So i tried it again and it happened at noisy bits in films, so i turned the bass off and played the film again, it cut off for good. I tried soldering ll the connections to make sre nothing was shorting, but it still happened.

Bear in mind this was in a church and at high volume in order to fill it. This could be the problem, but it eems unlikely.

any suggestions

It's bound to be that the unit is overheading because you're pushing it too hard. Routing the bass to the main speakers is making the amps work harder to drive the speakers to get the extra bass (bass is hard to drive).
You're going to be better off with separates to fill a church. Really you need something like 500 watts per channel.

spectacular, 500w. Jesus do you think there is that much money available. As for overheating, the unit has remained quite cool as it is uncovered. It seems likely noe that it is another piece of equipment causing problems. After rigorous test-toning, it was found that the front right speaker is emitting a much lower level than the other speakers and seems to be causing its left channel to make a low sound when the test tone goes to the right speaker. I'm going to test it again (Glladiator arrived today and is now the best sounding DVD i own, from about a minutes listening) as the speaker man came in and reattached the speaker, it was too high to reach myself.

now that i remember, a friend was selling a 500w amp that he had built (sad git) i'll see how much he wants for it, as i could use it for the front two channels.

We got a new amp the next day and it cut out also when very loud, but hopefully the speaker was causing the problem as I filled the church with sound, just a little too loud for comfortable listening with a 1984 30w Phillips mini system that used to belong to my grandfather.

Thanks for suggestions though as after all, this could turn out to be the problem

------------------
'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom