1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just built an HTPC... some questions!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kwazemowdoe, Aug 15, 2005.

1. kwazemowdoe

kwazemowdoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there just got started building an HTPC to replace my special xbox.

Using a P4 3ghz, 512MB ram, 300gig SATA and cheap gfx card - radeon 9250 (which only does directx8)

Setting up the box using MediaPortal. Have a windows MCE remote in the post.

Plan is to eventually add a DAB TV card and have a go at emulating all the good stuff my Tivo does (I know this will be difficult)

A "few" ! questions;
    1. Once I get the MCE remote, can i teach my 1forall Kameleon the signals and just add a generic IR recvr to the PC (either USB or maybe using the IR header on the mobo)? THis way I can sell the MCE remote kit on.

2. How do you use the IR header on the mobo? What would I buy to connect to it? AM I best to just go for a USB one.

3. MediaPortal does say it only really supports direct9x cards but I seem to be up and working using my Radeon 9250. Is this going to cause me problems later on down the line when I add the TV card etc.?

4. Am I likely to be able to run ffdshow using this hardware? (not a biggie as I mostly use this for playing divx only)

Thanks in advance for any help :smashin:

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Not sure abou the other ones but for this the answer's yes. you may find that another gig of ram would help you run more intensive resize settings but you'll definitely be able to run ffdshow.

3. bbq

bbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good luck :)
    I loved my Tivo! But after running both MCE2005 and Tivo in parallel for 6 weeks decided the MCE machine did most of what I wanted and the development $$$s keep flowing in.
    I only had one television in the house so it was mad to have both systems running. Gave the Tivo to my father so it is still in the family :)

For me, I connected the IR header to an internal USB port and then took the IR header case apart (the microsoft one is an external USB device) and mounted it inside the case - visible through a small hole which is masked by a transparent cover.

Hope this helps

4. kwazemowdoe

kwazemowdoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks bbq. When I say "IR Header" I mean the actual connecting PINS on the mobo, rather than the external IR receiver to which I t think you are describing. I want to know if it's as simple as just connecting an IR LED to this connector....

5. kwazemowdoe

kwazemowdoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I don't think the motherboard IR header Pins would be able to recieve commnade from the MCE remote, best using the USB one that comes with the remote, you could always do a custom mod though and mount in internally...

7. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    AFAIK, you need a special gizmo for the IR header on a board. It is definitely not compatible with MCE. In fact its rarely used nowadays. Its generally IrDa which means it was used for tranferring files - like sending stuff between the infrared ports on mobile phones. Its generally only documented and available as an OEM component. You can always disassemble the MCE receiver and mount it inside your case, and then use an internal USB header cable. These are easy enough to buy, either as one offs, or if you have a USB bracket with two sockets, unscrew it and leave it inside the case.

Cheers

Rajiv

8. kwazemowdoe

kwazemowdoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool that explains things- thanks!