Question Just Built a PC, fans work but no picture is appearing on the display.

pc built 1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I recently built a pc of the specs listed below:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400g
GPU: Using Ryzen APU
MOBO: Gigabyte A320M-S2H
RAM: 8GB of G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz
Storage: 240GB Kingston SSD and 640GB WD Caviar Black

The fans turn on, the ram stick is on as it lights up and the pc led on the front is on too; however, I have no picture at all appearing on my monitor (it’s a 28 inch 4K Samsung) does anybody have any clue what could be wrong?

Turn everything off and disconnect from power source. Check all the PSU connections to the motherboard are pushed fully home. I have found in the past that some of the connectors need quite a firm push and it is easy to leave one not all the way in. Also check that the RAM is seated properly then try powering on again.

Turn everything off and disconnect from power source. Check all the PSU connections to the motherboard are pushed fully home. I have found in the past that some of the connectors need quite a firm push and it is easy to leave one not all the way in. Also check that the RAM is seated properly then try powering on again.
Thank you very much, will do.

Initially reset the BIOS to defaults by removing the BIOS battery and shorting the CLR CMOS pins nearby. If you have a very early motherboard you may need a BIOS update. You need BIOS version F10 or later. This is a known issue with early AM4 motherboards and AMD Ryzen APUs. Some AMD A320 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Raven Ridge CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
If you have an earlier CPU use that to do a BIOS update. If the board is new return it to the vendor and ask them to update the BIOS or RMA it to Gigabyte who will do the same.

You could also try removing all but 1 RAM stick and seeing if you have faulty RAM.

Initially reset the BIOS to defaults by removing the BIOS battery and shorting the CLR CMOS pins nearby. If you have a very early motherboard you may need a BIOS update. You need BIOS version F10 or later. This is a known issue with early AM4 motherboards and AMD Ryzen APUs. Some AMD A320 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Raven Ridge CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
If you have an earlier CPU use that to do a BIOS update. If the board is new return it to the vendor and ask them to update the BIOS or RMA it to Gigabyte who will do the same.

You could also try removing all but 1 RAM stick and seeing if you have faulty RAM.
The board I bought came with a ‘2000 series ready’ sticker so I’m 99% sure it isn’t a CPU compatibility problem, I feel like it is most likely a RAM problem or maybe (as the CPU was second hand) there could be a problem with the pins on the processor.

I feel like it is most likely a RAM problem or maybe (as the CPU was second hand) there could be a problem with the pins on the processor.
You are likely correct then, probably a defective CPU especially if it was second hand

You are likely correct then, probably a defective CPU especially if it was second hand
It wouldn’t surprise me but we bought from a trusted seller, CEX. The website is uk.webuy.com so I’m no 100% sure it could be a defective CPU, I did buy the motherboard a few months before the other components so is there a chance the battery may have gone dead from just lying around?

CEX wouldn’t have tested the CPU. If the motherboard was new it is unlikely due to a bad battery, they usually last 6-7y if new.

Silly question, have you tried a graphics card in the PC? Maybe you'll find the inbuilt graphics may not work or the port you're plugging into does not work.

It's a long shot but i had the same issue a while back.

CEX wouldn’t have tested the CPU. If the motherboard was new it is unlikely due to a bad battery, they usually last 6-7y if new.
Ok thank you very much, it seems the problem lies in the CPU. I’ll get it returned on the warranty and buy one new.

Silly question, have you tried a graphics card in the PC? Maybe you'll find the inbuilt graphics may not work or the port you're plugging into does not work.

It's a long shot but i had the same issue a while back.
Sadly I don’t have a graphics card laying around, this is my first build and I was planning to start on an APU then buy an RX 570 in 2 or so months time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom