1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just broken my beloved Rio Carbon...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Emmodd, May 20, 2005.

1. Emmodd

Emmodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ...and I don't know what to do. I was putting it in my pocket, walking out of the house and the dog did a runner, Rio flew out of my hand and landed on the power button. It won;t now work - the power button has been pushed well and truly in. Don't think it'll be covered by a guarantee and pretty sure my ther half didn't take extended warranty or insure it so i'm in a dilema. I can't manage without my music so do i go for another Carbon (i've seen one for just over £100.00) or do I go for the new Sony NW-HD3 (which means i'll have to convert all my WMA files to MP3 or ATRAC). Please help!!!

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You go for the new Sony NW-HD5!!!!!!

Actually, in my opinion you are best off going for another Rio or an iRiver. The reason I say this is becuase the NW-HD series are all very restrictive. By this I mean forcing you to use SS, and also being very strict on Digital Rights Management.

I myself have had an HD1, HD3 and am shortly going to get an HD5. And I have loved them to bits. But I think coming from the Rios or the iRivers (with their regular firmware upgrades and support of drag and drop) to Sony or Apple would be a bit of a shock, and not one I would necessarily like!

3. Emmodd

Emmodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SS? Sorry, i'm being a bit dense.

From the point of view of music rights management, how exactly is it likely to effect what i put on my player?

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    SS - SonicStage. This is Sonys software for ripping CDs, listening to music on your computer, and transferring music to the player.

The problems DRM presents may not really effect you, to be honest. With your Rio, did you drag and drop music onto it? Because DRM puts an end to that (with most players.)

The main problem is if you want to transfer music from more than one computer. This is possible with the Sony, but it is awkward and difficult. Also songs which you download from the Connect Music store, which are in ATRAC3 format, have limits on how many times you can transfer them to the device and burn them to CD. There are similar restrictions on songs downloaded in AAC format from iTunes music store.

If these things don't bother you, then I suggest the HD5!!

5. Emmodd

Emmodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The rio uses it's own software but isn't really drag and drop. It scans the computer for new music whenever you go into the software and you have the option of then transferring to the rio. The software encodes the music and transfers it. Any music I will be putting onto the new player will either already be on my computer or will be ripped from cd's - i'm not one for buying from online stores!

6. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sonicstage is quite easy to get used to....and in my opinon the sound quality is brilliant compared to the creative zen 20Gb. [thats all i can compare it to!]

7. Emmodd

Emmodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    VERY tempted by the Sony. Only concern is it that it may not take some of the muscic I have on my computer (am i being totally paranoid?) Also, is there likely to be much loss in quality converting WMA tracks to Atrac?

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    the highest quality Atrac is Atrac3plus 256kbps which is amazing. I paid attention to instruments - cymbals and drums. I rate it slightly above MP3 320. don't know about WMA, just never use it.