• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just bought the Z4 (calibrated) and its ....

P

Pelle76

Yeah, it's good. Havent had time to test it completely since I didn't have a hdmi cable around. I got it calibrated so it got one of these orange filters in front of the lense.

First impressions though is quite good. (having only viewed "About a boy" over Video cable projected onto my white wallpaper)

The fleshtones are still not entirely correct. Especially in outdoor scenes. I assume that is because the projector was calibrated over hdmi, and not over video ... but I ordered the hdmi cable today.

There is still room for improvement regarding noise. The Sony Ruby is noiseless compared to this one. If people claim the PLV Z4 is noiseless they're not in a quiet enough room. Anyway it's not such a big issue, but I'd buy a new one if it was as good and, say (true) 20dB. This one is not 22dB as claimed. I recon more like 25dB in low lamp mode.

I think I estimated the moviescreen quite wrong before I bought the projector. I think I'll go for a size bigger after all (more than 2m wide).

Anim

How can you buy one "calibrated" when calibration is done on the equipment, screen and the room/enviroment you project in?

Just seems a little odd to me but forgive me if im wrong.

Anyway, you might also want to look up user "ROne" and his Z4 settings then Re-Calibrate to that as a starting point then tweak to your own environment. He seems to be a world leader on "The Zen of Z4 calibration techniques" :D

At least its worth testing.

Anim

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
You can get a pj calibrated to it's output, without taking into account any room effects. Quite often that will be more accurate than the pj without any calibration at all. Variation from DVD player to player is said to be around 1%, so is still pretty good and better than an uncalibrated pj.

Ideally you want to aim the calibration tool at the screen and that will take into account any colour shift of the screen or room effects if there are any. In a dark room with matt walls etc there probably won't be enough difference to be visible.

Gary

P

Pelle76

Got my hdmi cable by post yesterday, so I tried out watching DVD again.

Fact is the hdmi improved the sharpness dramatically over the video cable, which was no surprise, but I then also started to detect noise in the image...
I'm using the Toshiba 350e. I wonder if it's just the encoding of the DVD or the Toshiba that's creating the noise.

Also, the projector is supposed to be calibrated, but I find the colours strange. Especially the skin colors don'T seem to be right once using the calibrated presets together with the color filter they sent with the projector.
It's supposed to be calibrated to 65000K, and when I look at the screen menues the white is perfect. Perhaps the movie is not 65000K?.

When I use the standard presets (for example Powerful) and remove the colour filter and turn down contrast & color to 0, I find the colors just perfect.. weird.

Pity, because with the color filter the black is noticeably blacker :(.

cyberheater

You have to remember that the db scale is not linear. It's logarithmic. Every 3db is a double of sound level. So the difference between 20 db and 22 db is almost twice as much.

Richie15

What resolution are you outputting from your tosh. I have found by outputting 576p and letting the Z4 do the upscaling you get a better picture

P

Pelle76

I'm doing 576p from the Tosh. I tried the other modes, but no difference.

It couldn't be the hdmi cable. Come on, colour shift with a digital signal? anyway I saw exactly the same color problems using the cheapo video chinch cable too.

If there is any prob's with the DVD player, why is the picture good with the standard settings (un-tuned)?, what's the probability that 2 wrongs make it right?.

I'll take som photos to compare skin tones and post them soon.

Anyway yes, 3dB is a doubling in sound intensity. and that's my impression. No way it's 22dB. I've listened to fans rated 20dB and they're really noisless. This one you can hear if the sound from the movie is not so loud. A bit dissapointed there actually..and the sound is sort of not the whoosh sound you want but it get's a bit grindy too. Considering taking it to the shop and compare, the calibration and the sound.

mcmad

strange that you hear the Z4, mine is about 2 feet from my head & I cant hear a thing & my room is quiet.

what way have you got it mounted ? I'm sure Ive read somewhere that running it upside down causes the fan to run faster, maybe change the mounting if thats the case.

paul1967

What i have found if the pj is working hard the fan gets a bit louder ie when watching tele and then surfing when the adds are on

P

Pelle76

Mine Z4 stands on a table 1 meter or more(eh 3 feet?) from my head. But the sound is clearly audible from everywhere in the room. I'll post pics. It could be that it might vibrate and the sound is created from the table itself. I'll try different positions ;).

ELV

Mines only 12-18" from my head and noise isn't an issue, i only use the eco mode though.

Richie15

Re skin tones what settings are you using. I have found that rOnes are v good but you have to adjust the contrast and brightness according to whether you are using hdmi or component. rOne also talks about colour management which will enable you to change the skin colour, this is particularly noticeable on living.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom