Just bought the sony nwa3000

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Maidenpriest, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have just bought the nwa3000, as a replacement for my hd5, i am a bit annoyed because it only has 18.2 gig available, is this correct? is their a way to increase this size by taken away the clock maybe? my HD5 had 18.6 free gigs so i am a bit concerned how i am going to fit all my music on?
    Apart from having lower bit rates any suggestions would be appreciated?
    Thanks
    Phil

2. nw-hdjim

nw-hdjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used both Sony NW-HD5 and NWA3000 and compared to the NW-HD5, as I'm sure you've noticed, the 3000 is huge - very nearly as big as the 60gb video ipod. Battery life not as good, according to specs it has 5 hours less of battery life and this sounds about right to me. Looks tacky and plasticky, you cannot see the screen when outside and when you can see it, the writing is too big and bright - looks a bit cheap and lacks the class of the hd5. The hold button is sh*t - too much fiddling around to hold it in and to get the timing right etc. unlike the simple switch on the hd5.
    I first of all replaced my damaged hd5 with the 3000, but I was so let down by the overall inferiority of the 3000 that I sold it on ebay and bought a second hand hd5 for 90 quid. I have since not looked back.
    Perhaps you might consider doing the same.

3. Biskitboy

Biskitboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's just because of the way capacities are calculated and each make of 20gb drive will actually be different. It's all about whether you regard 1kb as 1000 or 1024.

Read an article about it here:

http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc3/v30/vic30.htm

As for reclaiming space used by the clock I'm sorry I have no idea if this is possible or not.

4. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The clock was part of a recent firmware update - can't think it would require any disk space, the 18.2 figure sounds about right, think that was what mine had out of the box before I upgraded and got the clock.

But if you're already over the limit at 18.2GB... well you were presumably going to have to start shuffling old stuff off to put new stuff on... guess it just brings that whole game forward a couple of album purchases earlier...

5. Biskitboy

Biskitboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a bit of a bummer if you're perpetually on or close to the limit, deciding what to bin to make space for the new, must have album....................decisions decisions.

Even more so on the Sony because of the need for SS and no possibility to delete tracks/albums "on the fly" both of which rank high amongst the reasons why I dumped Sony in favour of Archos.

Some may wonder how 20gb can be not enough but I have at last count some 100gb of music which I add to at the rate of maybe 1 or 2gb per month so 20gb only allows me to carry 20% of my collection!

To broaden my options, along with my laptop I carry an 80gb external 2.5" USB HD with the rest of my collection on it so I can swap stuff about at will.

6. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    ...but you still need SonicStage/Connect to upload the new stuff (and check it's actually done its job and uploaded all the tracks on an album and not got sidetracked with the most-important-task-in-the-universe artist link update if you're using Connect). It's not like you can use the Sony for anything other than playing the music you feed it.

But yes, buying Sony is always sadly a "have great player, have awful PC software" trade off. Worth it, though...

7. Biskitboy

Biskitboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided otherwise and voted with my credit card...but it was with sadness though because the Sony was superb player...!

Sony = So Near Yet so far away.

8. jason5_k

jason5_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a thought. the new sony nw-a3000 is bigger than the hd5 and has less battery life, a step back some might say

considering that SS 4.0 actually works rather well, now (ignoring connect) one could say that instead of sony having great hardware with crap software, its now got good software but not great hardware, it seems like its always a compromise with sony

9. nw-hdjim

nw-hdjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, quite. Can I just add something that I forget to mention - the NWA3000 is also a lot slower than the HD5, cementing this theory further still.