Answered Just bought the Panasonic TX-55FZ802B refurb

karma12

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i just bought this from the panasonic refurb store on ebay fro £799 .. what are the things i should be looking out for as soon as it arrives so hopefully i dont get a dud Thanks

Screen burn.

Hi,

I purchased one from the Ebay/Panasonic outlet store for a relative a month or so ago. Looked great & only had a couple of hundred hours usage logged against it.

It had an intermittent issue on HDMI 1, where a line would appear on the screen, it was always in the same place & happened no matter what device was attached to it. For some reason it also had terrible sound through the inbuilt speakers.

They were excellent in dealing with the return (they had no further stock for replacement) so I decided not to ask them to repair as I had a feeling it was just a bad one & would probably never be fixed properly.

If I was you i’d use it extensively for 2/3 days & make sure you advise them of any issues promptly.

They went for another make of oled but brand new as it was the 2nd Panasonic they’d had that had issues (probably just unlucky though).

Cheers

Hi,

I purchased one from the Ebay/Panasonic outlet store for a relative a month or so ago. Looked great & only had a couple of hundred hours usage logged against it.

It had an intermittent issue on HDMI 1, where a line would appear on the screen, it was always in the same place & happened no matter what device was attached to it. For some reason it also had terrible sound through the inbuilt speakers.

They were excellent in dealing with the return (they had no further stock for replacement) so I decided not to ask them to repair as I had a feeling it was just a bad one & would probably never be fixed properly.

If I was you i’d use it extensively for 2/3 days & make sure you advise them of any issues promptly.

They went for another make of oled but brand new as it was the 2nd Panasonic they’d had that had issues (probably just unlucky though).

Cheers
Thanks for thats my fear it might be a dud one and not a return.. I will check it thoroughly i am not even going to wall mount it for 2 weeks till i am sure there are no faults fingers crossed

Hopefully it will be a good one but a refurb from eBay has me worried. You can get a brand new one with a six year warranty for only £400 more.

If its a refurb its already been a dud at least once in its life perhaps even twice or more.

I agree £799 it's not worth touching a refurb oled.

For example £400 more could have got you a brand new 65FZ952 with a 5 year warranty recently.

If its a refurb its already been a dud at least once in its life perhaps even twice or more.

For example £400 more could have got you a brand new 65FZ952 with a 5 year warranty recently.
Looks like i might have to return it then lets see what comes up

i am just going to cancel the order now an oled refurb is just too risky i will wait a while and get something later ..Thanks for the

A refurb can cover a multitude of things being a faulty tv, repair, wonky panel, burn in, ex demo, open box, ex display, customer return.....

The list is extensive yet as a buyer you will be hoping it was just a straightforward customer return (which they hardly ever are)

If it was as simple as that they would offer a longer warranty. They don't.

That Panasonic ebay store has a constant churn of these oleds throughout the year. Ask yourself why ?

Last but not least what do you think happens with refurbished returns? They simply get re-sold again at some point.

You've done yourself a favour, its far wiser to spend the money elsewhere right now.

A refurb can cover a multitude of things being a faulty tv, repair, wonky panel, burn in, ex demo, open box, ex display, customer return.....

The list is extensive yet as a buyer you will be hoping it was just a straightforward customer return (which they hardly ever are)

If it was as simple as that they would offer a longer warranty. They don't.

That Panasonic ebay store has a constant churn of these oleds throughout the year. Ask yourself why ?

Last but not least what do you think happens with refurbished returns? They simply get re-sold again at some point.

You've done yourself a favour, its far wiser to spend the money elsewhere right now.
Thanks ekko star i appreciate the comments i feel its better to have a longer warranty 5 yrs minimum ..12 months on a oled refurb for £799 does not cut it ..

As someone looking for my first oled I'm also considering a Panasonic eBay refurb. Please can you let me know where I can by a new 65FZ952 for £1,200?

If anyone does get a refurb you can check the usage hours in the menu, help, system information - status 4 is the hours it has been on. I wouldn't really consider a refurb unless it was at a significant discount.

I'd expect a customer return to be between 30-100 hours, assuming they tried it for upto a week before returning, whereas a shop display model could have logged thousands of hours. Ideally 0hrs would be good, could just be a damaged box, or excess new stock that Panasonic want to shift as retailers have no interest in stocking last year's model.

As someone looking for my first oled I'm also considering a Panasonic eBay refurb. Please can you let me know where I can by a new 65FZ952 for £1,200?
Costco Stevenage had them. If no luck there a few other Costco's may still have them for £1379

If anyone does get a refurb you can check the usage hours in the menu, help, system information - status 4 is the hours it has been on. I wouldn't really consider a refurb unless it was at a significant discount.

I'd expect a customer return to be between 30-100 hours, assuming they tried it for upto a week before returning, whereas a shop display model could have logged thousands of hours. Ideally 0hrs would be good, could just be a damaged box, or excess new stock that Panasonic want to shift as retailers have no interest in stocking last year's model.

Zero hours would be unrealistic for a refurb coming through the Panasonic Ebay route. A store would sell them off as open box long before.

Sony/Panasonic threshold can be upto 500hrs. In some cases thats a year's usage.

Refurb Oled is generally a bad idea and that Panasonic outlet has had a ready supply available throughout this year. Which in itself says a lot. Add to that its only 1 years warranty.

Theres also been a number of other stores trying to get shot of the FZ returns for Panasonic such as Krish AV, Hifonix etc. As I say it speaks volumes really.

Last edited:
Zero hours would be unrealistic for a refurb coming through the Panasonic Ebay route. A store would sell them off as open box long before.

Sony/Panasonic threshold can be upto 500hrs. In some cases thats a year's usage.

Refurb Oled is generally a bad idea and that Panasonic outlet has had a ready supply available throughout this year. Which in itself says a lot. Add to that its only 1 years warranty.

Theres also been a number of other stores trying to get shot of the FZ returns for Panasonic such as Krish AV, Hifonix etc. As I say it speaks volumes really.
I agree, for an OLED I wouldn't jump at the idea of a refurb either, but at least it's direct from Panasonic rather than some unheard of third-party seller.

Some might find a refurb appealing if the price is right for them, especially considering when we're talking about the award-winning 2018 OLED from Panasonic.

I agree, for an OLED I wouldn't jump at the idea of a refurb either, but at least it's direct from Panasonic rather than some unheard of third-party seller.

Some might find a refurb appealing if the price is right for them, especially considering when we're talking about the award-winning 2018 OLED from Panasonic.

That ebay store apparently is not actually directly Panasonic. Its an agent.

You would be better off buying it from the likes of Hifonix and see it beforehand. The stores will normally get premium pristine refurbs.

Unfortunately theres been no end of returns availability of last years FZ range. It says a lot about that range and its certainly not one I would advise being on anyones refurbed shopping list. Even more so at that price.

As they say once a dud always a dud.

That ebay store apparently is not actually directly Panasonic. Its an agent.

You would be better off buying it from the likes of Hifonix and see it beforehand. The stores will normally get premium pristine refurbs.

Unfortunately theres been no end of returns availability of last years FZ range. It says a lot about that range and its certainly not one I would advise being on anyones refurbed shopping list. Even more so at that price.

As they say once a dud always a dud.

Do you have some contacts in the industry that inform you of returns numbers or something?

At the end of the day people are free to do as they please. I agree that generally refurbs are a bad idea, but people are free to determine the price to risk ratio. An inspection during the return period will usually suffice, and a 1-year warranty may be good enough if people feel the price is right for them.

I've purchased two 4K Blu-ray Players from the Panasonic Outlet on ebay and they're both fine. One was in its original box, which was 'tatty', and the other was in just a plain brown box. Both appeared to be in new condition and are still going strong - they have 1-yr warranty on both of them too.

Do you have some contacts in the industry that inform you of returns numbers or something?

At the end of the day people are free to do as they please. I agree that generally refurbs are a bad idea, but people are free to determine the price to risk ratio. An inspection during the return period will usually suffice, and a 1-year warranty may be good enough if people feel the price is right for them.

I've purchased two 4K Blu-ray Players from the Panasonic Outlet on ebay and they're both fine. One was in its original box, which was 'tatty', and the other was in just a plain brown box. Both appeared to be in new condition and are still going strong - they have 1-yr warranty on both of them too.

Blu ray players are a bit different to Oled though, but you are quite right, each to their own, take the risk as you see fit.

Blu ray players are a bit different to Oled though, but you are quite right, each to their own, take the risk as you see fit.
Yeah, I only mentioned the Blu-ray Players in case of concerns with buying from the Panasonic Outlet store. I've had a good experience with them was the point I was trying to make.

Naturally if you can grab a new OLED for not much more money and get a 5yr warranty thrown in, then that's obviously preferable.

Blu ray players are totally different to Oled refurbs.

Indeed it is each to their own. Given the OP had already changed his mind not sure what you are trying to say since.

i have cancelled the order just not worth it to me ..thanks guys for all the logical advise i dont mind a bluray player but for £800 when a little more will get me a brand new one with longer warranty ...i have come to my senses

Last edited:

Blu ray players are totally different to Oled refurbs.

Indeed it is each to their own. Given the OP had already changed his mind not sure what you are trying to say since.

My post was immediately following bernie's who was considering a Panasonic Outlet refurb. But more than that, just their for the sake of anyone else who might come into this public forum considering the same thing.

My post was immediately following bernie's who was considering a Panasonic Outlet refurb. But more than that, just their for the sake of anyone else who might come into this public forum considering the same thing.
i appreciate all your comments on the thread :thumbsup:

i have cancelled the order just not worth it to me ..thanks guys for all the logical advise i dont mind a bluray player but for £800 when a little more will get me a brand new one with longer warranty ...i have come to my senses
I think that's wise considering the price and screen size you were getting for the money. A friend's only just ordered a 55" B8 fo just under a grand from Richer Sounds and that includes a 6 year warranty.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the OLED Prices Change thread here as well as setting up an OLED alert on HotUKDeals.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom