Question Just bought Sony UBP x700 Disappointed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BonsaiMaster, Jun 22, 2019.

1. BonsaiMaster

BonsaiMaster
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My twelve year old Samsung Blu Ray player finally decided to call it a day and not play many of the new Blu Ray discs. In addition the disc would frequently get stuck and so with heavy heart it was time to say goodbye. I have a Sony 48" TV that I bought five years ago, not 4K but a beautiful picture.

I've set the UBPX700 up correctly but frankly I thought the detail from my old 'Sammy' was better. Now I am only using a reasonably cheap HDMI cable which is fifteen years old. Might an upgraded cable improve things?

As it stands I fail to see the plethora of 5 star reviews making any kind of sense.

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    TV upgrade is more likely to make a difference. Then get a good quality and capable HDMI lead like Amazon Basics.

3. BonsaiMaster

BonsaiMaster
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    TV upgrade I don't really get as the Samsung (12 years old) gave an amazing picture. Maybe it is all down to a new HDMI cable? Seems a bit odd really when the Samsung produce incredible quality on Blu ray.

4. BonsaiMaster

BonsaiMaster
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Sony TV was the best that had four years ago so I don't believe the issue is the TV. The Samsung Blu ray gave an amazing reproduction: The Sony does not.

5. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    A new and capable HDMI cable won't change the picture but will add extra bandwidth that 4K requires, but if the TV is not 4K capable it is unlikely to be worth it.

6. BonsaiMaster

BonsaiMaster
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you. Then I must conclude my twelve year old Samsung Blu Ray player was better than the latest Sony version. Shame.

7. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    My ten year old Samsung BDP1600 was replaced with two other UHD players before I purchased the Sony X700.

All looked very similar on my LG 4K OLED with Bluray discs, and they all looked / look very good and similar to each other with UHD / 4K Bluray discs.

Apart from the lack of auto DV switching the Sony is a fine player.

8. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    All Blu-ray players should be identical. Did you, perhaps, have some image processing or sharpening turned on on the Samsung?

9. Migman

Migman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Quite often a person just gets used to a picture, and any difference is seen as inferior, give it some more time, and maybe see if there are any calibration settings you can tweak, as stevelup states, all properly made Blu-ray players should give an exact same picture.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  10. stelen

stelen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just sent my Panasonic back for repair (looks like it'll be a replacement but that's another story) and bought myself an X800 which I plugged into my setup in the hope that my untrained eye would be happy.... And low and behold the same disappointment washed over me. BUT (forgive me if this isn't your case)... Whilst a disc or file is playing, go to the options button, click on the video settings which appears on the side menu and click 'Direct'. That ensures that the video signal doesn't get muted by picture processing and it has now produced a sharp, colourful image matching that of the lovely Panasonic. FWIW, in my opinion the X800 now has the edge over the Panny due to better audio reproduction in general and DTS HD Master playback from MKV which the Panasonic could not . As expected, neither unit could reproduce Atmos nor DTS X from USB file though and I presume the above would be true of the x700 also.

11. rebel_scum

rebel_scum
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,548
    Make sure the video mode is set to 'Direct', as anything else introduces noise reduction to the image.