Just bought replacement PS3

BigPaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning chaps, I just bought a replacement 120gb slim for a 40gb ylod. However I'm now wondering whether I've done the right thing. The 40gb went around February & have done very little gaming since (sons 360). I've really bought it to use as a bluray player although I'm really into GT5 so that was kind of a clincher. My worry is are they any more reliable nowadays? I'm wondering whether I should have just bought a standalone bluray.

Thoughts appreciated,

Paul

Morning chaps, I just bought a replacement 120gb slim for a 40gb ylod. However I'm now wondering whether I've done the right thing. The 40gb went around February & have done very little gaming since (sons 360). I've really bought it to use as a bluray player although I'm really into GT5 so that was kind of a clincher. My worry is are they any more reliable nowadays? I'm wondering whether I should have just bought a standalone bluray.

Thoughts appreciated,

Paul

The slims do run a lot cooler and from what I hear are much more reliable.

I'm a sucker for my darling 60gb Fatty so I'm just getting that fixed at the moment.

May get a Slim next year.

For the price differential I think you've done the right thing, plus GT5 is awesome.

Yes mate,much more reliable.
The components used on the slim,are much newer and better.
I had my mates one for a couple of days,and,it was much more quiet than my 60gb.
I dont think anyone i know has had YLOD with a slim.
And,GT5 is very nice.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm guessing that ylod only affected the old 'phat' PS3's then? I don't want to go round the same road again being apprehensive about using it a lot. Really bought it on an impulse so now comes the 'do I really this' feelings.:lesson:

Paul

I've really bought it to use as a bluray player although I'm really into GT5 so that was kind of a clincher. My worry is are they any more reliable nowadays? I'm wondering whether I should have just bought a standalone bluray.

cant play gt on a standalone player though, so yes if you want to play gt you've done the right thing

i just done a similar thing meself, didnt trust the replacement (refurb) 60g to last very long after my ylod so i shifted it on and bought meself a nice new slim 320g

seems to run just fine:smashin:

Strange that so many people are saying that the slims are more reliable, I know someone who is on his 3rd replacement slim already and they have all had the same fault, the BR drive has stopped reading the discs. I never had any problems with the 2 phat PS3's that I owned and only know one person who has had a phat ps3 break down on them.

Last edited:
Strange that so many people are saying that the slims are more reliable, I know someone who is on his 3rd replacement slim already and they have all had the same fault, the BR drive has stopped reading the discs. I never had any problems with the 2 phat PS3's that I owned and only know one person who has had a phat ps3 break down on them.

I've got a slim, one of the first. My BR drive gave up the ghost yesterday:mad: Seems a common'ish problem with them. Just trying to decide whether to buy a new laser for it and fix it myself.

I've got a slim, one of the first. My BR drive gave up the ghost yesterday:mad: Seems a common'ish problem with them. Just trying to decide whether to buy a new laser for it and fix it myself.
Contact Sony and see if they will give a replacement, they are normally good at sorting this out and sometimes do it out of warranty.

Haven't had any problem with my 80GB (now 320) phat since it was bought late 2008.

From the posts I've seen in here, everytime somebody has a PS3 break down on them, its an original all singing all dancing, actually might in a month of sundays do everything 60GB model.

I'm not saying later ones don't break, I just think they break a lot less.

I think the main reason Sony changed the design was manufacturing costs - the Slims are cheaper to make.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom