Just bought - PS51D6900 1st Plasma Tv - Advice - Any Do's / Don'ts or Tips / Tricks ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by brent, Jan 9, 2012.

1. brent

brent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

As of this Wednesday I'll be the proud owner of my 1st proper TV & as I'm a complete noob, I was wondering if there's anything I should I know?

I'll be running Sky HD initially & an xbox 360.

So far all I know is that there's a 200 hr running in period & not to game for more than hr at a time with any static images on during that period.

Firstly is this correct? & also please could you advise me as to anything else I should know? Calibrating the set? etc etc

-------------------------------------------------

Also whilst I think of it - Its getting delivered to me at work from JL & then i'll be transporting it home in the works van - again anything to look out for or do's / don'ts?

Thanks

Brent

2. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    First thing to do is switch off automatic firmware updates! Not sure what the current auto update release is, but you definitely want to be in control of this yourself as the latest firmware version is broken! By default the set checks every two hours, so you want to switch it off immediately after powering it up.

I've just got a PS59 and I've found that switching to movie mode gives a more natural picture, other than that I'm still working out my set! :)

3. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Re transporting it, make sure the box stays upright, don't lie it on its side. Put it up against the front wall of the van loading area, as hard braking is the largest force it's likely to be subjected to and you dont want it sliding about. Obviously secure it generally as well. I drove very carefully when taking mine home the other day, but you don't have to worry too much as you can be sure the delviery driver before you wasnt all that gentle and the packaging must have been designed with that in mind.

4. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,879
    Pop it into movie not Dynamic. The D6900 thread might have some nice settings for running the set in and can be found here
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1560342-samsung-ps51d6900-owners-thread-part-7-a.html

When trasporting dont lay the beast down. Theres a big chanse the glass may break if you do. :lesson:

Most of all enjoy the new set :)

5. Tatkovladko

Tatkovladko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    1. Do's - enjoy immensely
    2. Don'ts - don't read the forums anymore, due to item 1
    :)

6. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    This is actually good advice. It's very easy to have minor issues brought to your attention on here that you otherwise would have been blissfully ignorant of!

7. brent

brent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry for the delay in reply guys

Turn off automatic updates as firmware broken? - ok I'm going to need some help here as although I know what firmware is I believe (essentially main the computer program - I think), but could you please tell me more about why I should disable?

Viewing modes - Cheers for the advice & like you've done i'm sure i'll also have a play with the options.

Transporting - All noted & taken onboard, thanks. Do I need to leave it for any amount of time before connecting it up?

Stay clear of the forums, haha - Well tbh after reading & consequently getting scared about the risk of green blobs on the Panny GT30, I can certainly relate to that. However, like everyone I do want to get the most from the TV & as far as I can see, the forum is the best & cheapest way of doing so. Odd one I know but any way to do this?

In fact is the TV good enough out of the box for me to just leave it or will I noticeably (as a noob remember) see the benefit of adjustment?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I'd add any tips I've leant so far: (Please correct if wrong)

• Apparently putting my xbox through the HDMI1 port is the best in terms of reducing lag as I can use the PC Mode.
    • ----------
    • 200hrs runnining in time - not to adjust anything PQ wise during the period & like already said only game for 1hr at a time.
    • ----------
    • & stuff from above :thumbsup:

8. Fletchybold

Fletchybold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey I got mine saturday.

I calibrated based on the settings in the calibration thread. This helps the colour alot.

Turned cell light down to 10 and contrast to 50 for 100-200 hours

Haven't got my ps3 yet but I will limit my gaming sessions

Mine is 1016 it did try to upgrade but I think samsung have withdrawn the 1019.

9. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Like most modern electronics, your TV is essentially a computer and like all computers it runs using an operating system. That is the firmware, it provides the same function as the OS on your PC or smartphone. As such, if there is a major bug in the system, a firmware update is required to fix it, just like an OS patch. But equally new versions of the OS can sometimes (often) introduce new bugs.

This is what happened with this year's Samsung's Plasma sets. There was a bug causing 'brightness popping' with certain signals. A firmware update was released to address this (1018 and/or 1019), but in the process it made pretty drastic changes to the PQ of the set, which many people dislike.

Samsung appear to have withdrawn the dubious versions of the firmware, but I wouldn't take the chance myself and so have disabled automatic updating so I can be in control of what version of firmware I run. I'm currently on 1010 as shipped, and will likely be updating to 1015 as that was the 'last known good' version.

Sooner or later Samsung should release a new version, e.g. 1020 or above, which will hopefully include the original fixes but also reverse the PQ problem that was introduced (this sort of update cycle is very common, you see it on computers and smartphones all the time). But as I currently have an 'unaffected' set, I'm not going to touch that or any other firmware version either until some other brave souls (who probably are on 1019 now) have put it on their set and reported what it does.

One important thing to note here is that once you have put a particular firmware version on, there is currently no way back short of having an engineer replace the circuit boards in your set! So I would be very cautious about when you choose to do a particular update.

More info on the particular issue with Samsungs this year can be found in this thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1539064-2011-d-series-samsung-firmware-issues-poor-pq.html

10. BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    The firmware has not been withdrawn. It has never been available via an online update on the TV. It is only available via Samsung's website.

Support for PS51D6900DK

11. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I knew it hadn't been released over the air, but had been told it was withdrawn from the website. That was clearly wrong!

Bottom line, don't apply the update from the website. If you really want to update there are people on here who can point you at the 1015 or 1016 firmware.

I would also not rely on Samsung not releasing the broken 1019 firmware over the air, either by accident or on purpose. Neither would I assume that the next version (1020 presumably) will be good, better to wait and let people try it first.

For both those reasons, I would switch off automatic updates and leave them off.