Just bought Prison Break (R1)

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after watching all 4 series of Alias, as well as 24, Sopranos, Boston, Spooks, Teachers) I have ordered this from playusa. It's been posted and am expecting it tomorrow (or Monday). never seen it, but really looking forward to watching it after reading some reviews.

ONe thing, it annoys me that I can order it for £30 for the whole season from the US, yet in the UK I would have to buy it in half seasons for the same price+ (for each set = double the price) AND wait until end Sept for the last half.

Anyway, goodbye life for another 3-4 days :thumbsup:

Enjoy yourself mate :thumbsup: Brilliant drama! (Y)

featherhall said:
ONe thing, it annoys me that I can order it for £30 for the whole season from the US, yet in the UK I would have to buy it in half seasons for the same price+ (for each set = double the price) AND wait until end Sept for the last half.

SAme with Lost, also the first season of Mission Impossible (DVD Pacific £18 R1, Play, R2 £48, which leaves plenty of breathing space for any potential Customs hit).

You could probably buy the R1 of any of these and a supermarket cheapy multi-region player and still save money on buying R2:suicide:

Still, people must be buying R2 or they wouldn't keep releasing stuff this way, I suppose:oops:

I bought prison break last week R1 from movietyme and so far watched 12 episodes. Im really enjoying it, very fast paced and lots of twists and turns. It is a lot better than i thought it would be and dare i say it... im enjoying it far more than lost which is a surprise as i loved lost seasons 1 and 2!

krish72 said:
watch out for potential customs charges...

yes, thats a problem. fingers crossed though. how much would I likely be charged ?

I ordered mine from movietyme (US) and got no custom charges as they actually ship them from a uk base!

17.5% VAT, + 2.5%(?) Import Duty and if it comes via Royal Mail you can expect a £4 charge from them too. Probably around £10 in total, I would think.

I started watching this on Irish TV when it was rerun, as I had heard great things about it.

I was up to about episode 8 or so and finally just deleted it off my Sky+ box.

Sorry if this offends any fans out there, but there was something about the show that just didn't grab me the way the likes of Sopranos and Lost have. Can't put my finger on it, but I would not spend a lot of time watching TV and for me it just wasn't good enough to continue watching each week (and RTE do double episodes every week as well!!).

Maybe when the Sopranos finally ends or I lose patience with Lost then I might go back to it.

Goooner said:
17.5% VAT, + 2.5%(?) Import Duty and if it comes via Royal Mail you can expect a £4 charge from them too. Probably around £10 in total, I would think.

Yup its 17.5% VAT + 3.5% Import Duty (if I'm not mistaken)
.... i.e. 21% on the total shipped price based on the exchange rate HM Customs are using this month; and approx £4 Royal Mail fee
.. so on £30.99 could be £6.50 + £4 fee

many people get away with it.... depends on your postie ;)

krish72 said:
Yup its 17.5% VAT + 3.5% Import Duty (if I'm not mistaken)
.... i.e. 21% on the total shipped price based on the exchange rate HM Customs are using this month; and approx £4 Royal Mail fee
.. so on £30.99 could be £6.50 + £4 fee

many people get away with it.... depends on your postie ;)

It's not based on the total shipped price, only the cost of the item before postage.

What I want to know is say you buy something for £20 why do you pay 21% of £20?, surely it should be 21% of £2 since you are supposed to get an £18 customs allowance. If they charge you for 21% off £20 then you don't get any customs allowance at all! and don't even get me started on that £4 Royal Mail charge.

I've been watching it on Sky UK Gold and it's my favourite show on TV at the moment - absolutely gripping, I look forward to every Sunday!

thanx to everyone for the info. hope my posty is in a good mood then !

I've never been hit for customs before, so maybe its about time

Cloysterpeteuk said:
It's not based on the total shipped price, only the cost of the item before postage.

What I want to know is say you buy something for £20 why do you pay 21% of £20?, surely it should be 21% of £2 since you are supposed to get an £18 customs allowance. If they charge you for 21% off £20 then you don't get any customs allowance at all! and don't even get me started on that £4 Royal Mail charge.

yes it is, once the item is over £18 in price - they do charge you on the TOTAL shipped price

as ever taxes are a bummer!!
you think this is bad.....
don't ask me about bloody stamp duty when your house price is just above a certain threshold... is charged on the whole :censored: amount :mad: :mad:

krish72 said:
yes it is, once the item is over £18 in price - they do charge you on the TOTAL shipped price

as ever taxes are a bummer!!
you think this is bad.....
don't ask me about bloody stamp duty when your house price is just above a certain threshold... is charged on the whole :censored: amount :mad: :mad:

What I thought you meant was that the if the item was £1 and you had a postage charge of £100 then you would get a customs charge, which you shouldn't. I didn't realise you were saying that when the product itself is over £18 customs at this stage they include the postage cost when working out what you owe.

Talk about a contradicting themselves, if the item is under £18 then any amount of postage won't affect anything but if it's over £18 then they also count your postage costs :rolleyes:

I watched the first series of Prison Break and the repeats on Sky US Gold.

This is one of the best programs which I have seen for a long long time. It had everything, twists and turns, unpredictability and action.

Any other good programs coming out of the US at the moment?

MB

and only 12 days to go (according to www.tv.com) until Season 2 premieres in the States - cannot wait!!

I loved this when it was on TV and got the DVD the other day. Cant wait for season 2! :thumbsup:

And just in case anyone else is considering ordering the DVD, go with Movietyme, they are top class. Ordered at 12.30pm on Monday and arrived at my door at 9am the next day! thats gotta be some sorta record! Also guaranteed no customs charges as they ship from within the UK! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: Thouroughly recommended!

Rob

still not received it !!!!!!!! thinking it may have been held up at customs now, usually doesn't take 7 days + to receive goods from playusa.

Id agree with going with movietyme. Fastest delivery ive ever had when i ordered prison break and no extra charges! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom