• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just BOUGHT PANASONIC Viera TX-P42X50B help setting it up please

liamjamesroe

Standard Member
Hi guy's just picked up this TV and i love the look and build quality of it but i'm struggling to get a nice picture setting Dynamic look's really good nice bright and vivid like on the XBOX or on the HD channels you see every little detail but Normal, Cinema, and True Cinema seem to loose detail it's not that they look more dull or dimmed down but actual detail in what ever image your seeing doesn't look as deep to me.

But maybe this is because the setting's need playing about with such as brightness, colour, sharpness etc could anyone please help me get a nice looking picture the TV only cost me £369.00 so there's not really much point spending big money on a professional calibration i just want to try get a nice looking image for SD free view tv channels and HD free view channels and for the XBOX thank's in advance.

MultiRoom

Prominent Member
Crank up the contrast in each of the settings, except dynamic of course.

When you compare dynamic to everything else it can sometimes seem as though the other picture modes are a bit dim. It's truer to say that dynamic is over bright. My advice would be to switch over to Normal, then walk away from the TV for 5 minutes so when you return you have a fresh set of eyes that have not been biased by the dynamic mode.

Then adjust the contrast to get more detail and depth. For example, on my VT30 I have the contrast up nearly 75%.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Dynamic will give you eye strain, makes IR more likely, looses detail and is so inaccurate it's a joke.

I believe cinema is the best on your set, have a play with the brightness and contrast.
Sharpness needs to be 0 with HD or up to 5 if you want, all sharpness does if too high is loose detail and contribute to IR. Contrast needs to be default or a bit lower for a week or so just whilst the set beds in. Did you have LCD before? can take some adjusting too but it's worth it. Oh and also try warm 1 or 2 rather than normal or worse cool.

liamjamesroe

Standard Member
Thank's guy's yes i had an LED backlit Toshiba but had to return it because of a fault so i went with the plasma instead i can tell there is so much more detail in a plasma the black's are more truer everything look's better it's just adjusting to the fact it's not as bright and in your face as an LCD is but i much prefer the picture quality compared to an LCD.

What would you suggest with the C.A.T.S setting, Vivid Colour and P-NR etc these plasma's seem alot harder to set up a good picture than an LCD but i guess it's worth it in the end.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thank's guy's yes i had an LED backlit Toshiba but had to return it because of a fault so i went with the plasma instead i can tell there is so much more detail in a plasma the black's are more truer everything look's better it's just adjusting to the fact it's not as bright and in your face as an LCD is but i much prefer the picture quality compared to an LCD.

What would you suggest with the C.A.T.S setting, Vivid Colour and P-NR etc these plasma's seem alot harder to set up a good picture than an LCD but i guess it's worth it in the end.

All extra processing off it can create artifacts and isn't really needed. CATS is an automatic contrast adjustment that senses the environment and adjusts contrast accordingly, best left of as otherwise you may notice fluctuations whilst watch TV, Blu-Ray etc.

And yes too much contrast will give you eye strain if for some odd reason people want to use Dynamic I'd reduce contrast a bit. Dynamic by the way is a setting designed.to compete with LCDs on bright shop floors, PQ wise it's bloomin awful.

Mrhappy37

Established Member
I use true cinema mode. Contrast and brightness set to default, colour down 4 clicks, vivid colour on, pnr set to min and cats off. The picture looks great. Be aware that the picture will change dramatically for the better over the running in period.
I find dynamic mode makes all programmes look like cartoons. As mentioned in earlier posts, you really need to give time to adjust to the more natural picture. A bit like listening to music at full volume then turning it down a bit. At first the music sounds a bit unexciting but after a while your ears adjust, then if you turn it up full again you can hear how ridiculously loud it was.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom