Just bought oblivion

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and its mind boggling:confused:I am a beginner , second game ( 1st Fifa 2007) and I feel I should be beginning with a different game maybe a precursor of this one. Anyone have suggestions?Thanks:)

When I got my xbox last Christmas I got Oblivion with a few other games. I didnt start playing it properly for a few months as I didnt think it would be my cup of tea but when I did it swallowed me up - you will really enjoy it.

I haven't played any of the earlier games in the series.

Mate

it does start off a little bit tough but once it gets going be prepared to write off a large chunk of your life...My advice PERCEVERE !!!

Yea i agree. When i first started it i thought. Seems ok but onces you get in to it you can get lost in it. I have spend quite a few hours playing this game and really enjoyed it.

I tried to follow those blokes( although they told me to stay put )when they went through that first gate, but can i find the key to it?? Can I heck.So i took a right and went through one cavern after another contatsntly fighting rats and gremlins with no sight of an exit - I have been killed about 3 times already:confused:I am only using fists in the dark:(No chance!Hitting air and rock face most of the time:confused:The leaflet confuses me no real instructions which made me think this game is for those who have done earlier ones ie know the ropes.
Yes its compelling but.................

Sounds just like when i started. Took me a few goes to get out of the sewers but believe me onces you get out thats when the game really opens up IMO.

Sounds just like when i started. Took me a few goes to get out of the sewers but believe me onces you get out thats when the game really opens up IMO.
oh is that what they are - sewers?:)Guess i need to look at bthe leaflet a bit more. I went straight into the game .

Sounds like your new toy es muy divertido, LGS! :smashin: .... Enjoy it matey! :)

Sounds like your new toy es muy divertido, LGS! :smashin: .... Enjoy it matey! :)

si lo es, very addictive too, I am in some castle ruin trying to deal with some pesky baddies who are much better armed than me- flashing lights, fire , they make me glow green and well I have keep having to resuscitate myself Maybe I need to get out of there and find that priory.trouble is I can quite make the compass out. I get this blue arrow and sometimes a red one:confused:Me rompe las pelotas

si lo es, very addictive too, I am in some castle ruin trying to deal with some pesky baddies who are much better armed than me- flashing lights, fire , they make me glow green and well I have keep having to resuscitate myself Maybe I need to get out of there and find that priory.trouble is I can quite make the compass out. I get this blue arrow and sometimes a red one:confused:Me rompe las pelotas

Ouch!!!! :eek: ... sounds like they could do with a soothing balm, LGS! :D ... You'll be flying through the game in the next few days... then you'll br looking to add this... http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4...lls-IV-Oblivion-Shivering-Isles/Product.html#

Am looking at getting Oblivion for my boys... the reviews for the game are mostly excellent! :)

Ouch!!!! :eek: ... sounds like they could do with a soothing balm, LGS! :D ... You'll be flying through the game in the next few days... then you'll br looking to add this... http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4...lls-IV-Oblivion-Shivering-Isles/Product.html#

Am looking at getting Oblivion for my boys... the reviews for the game are mostly excellent! :)
Mind me asking, do you game yourself?Only my wife bought me this 360 so i wnet down to he local gamers shop and it was full -----------teenagers:eek:so I quickly doubled back. Made me think that gaming is more for that age group than old timers like us.:rolleyes:

Mind me asking, do you game yourself?.

I don't play myself LGS... games nowadays are way too complicated for me! I'm old school, I suppose... Space Invaders, Tetris and that ilk.:( ... Besides, I've got a weak constitution and even watching my boys moving around on some games (particularly FPS) makes me want to throw up ... dunno why ... it's just the motion!!! :rolleyes: However, I did play up until 4 or 5 years ago.. I remember when they first got the PS1, the kids couldn't get me off the thing ... I was up many a night 'til 4 or 5 in the morning playing pinball, or that excellent Crash Bandicoot chap... now he was fun... probably still is....

I know what you mean about the shops being full of youngsters though! :rolleyes: ... I often wonder where the tykes get the dough to fork out up to £40 quid a go on a game....... :eek: ... You could always do what I do and pretend you're just in buying a game for your grandson!!!!! :devil: :) :D

I don't play myself LGS... games nowadays are way too complicated for me! I'm old school

I know the feeling but if you're selective you can find games that aren't too complicated to get into.

My problem is usually that games requires too much time invested in them and I only get a few hours a week. Anything requiring too many buttons for instance is straight out.

Yeah, I know that there must be a game or two out there for me, Dan, but it's the time element, as you say ... dammit... if I were playing games, I'd have no time for being on here!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Seriously though, I like the old type of games that you could play for a couple of hours (if you were really good) and then it would end in inevitable defeat... and the session was over ... but nowadays, it seems like most games are elaborate quests and include hundreds of levels etc... Mate, I'm ranting :rolleyes: ... it's great that games have moved on to what we have now ... and after buying the kids Assassins Creed the other week, I am in awe of the quality of the graphics nowadays ... but it probably says a lot more about me, that I haven't moved with the times.... :(

I traded Oblivion but im going to get GOTY edition really enjoyed it, makes me wonder why I got rid in the first place. I have 177 hrs played but may just start again to relive the awesome missions:thumbsup:

The red & Green arrows are quest markers. The blue arrow is your marker - which you can set on the map yourself.

I know the feeling but if you're selective you can find games that aren't too complicated to get into.

My problem is usually that games requires too much time invested in them and I only get a few hours a week. Anything requiring too many buttons for instance is straight out.
I spent 5 hours on it yesterday:eek:

The red & Green arrows are quest markers. The blue arrow is your marker - which you can set on the map yourself.
Not seen a green yet:rolleyes:. A few reds and purple too. So wherever the quest marker is on the compass is where I should be heading?Havent figured out out how to recharge life ( ie red stripe)resources when depleted. Trying to fight off goblins hurling fireballs in the dark with a sword or mace quickly knackers me.I feel as though I need a few RPGs
What do the spells do (rB)?

Its tough at the start. I spent half an hour crouched behind some rubble picking off some scamps with a basic bow because I was toast if I went hand to hand on them. By the finish of the main quest I could kill a scamp with a couple of punches!

My tip would be to follow the main quest for a bit: it should get you into the swing of things, after a while you can branch off into some of the side quests ( you'll find most of them by talking to people). Its a bad idea to poke around in locations at random as you can mess up side quests by triggering events or not realising the significance of certain items you might find.

Food , health potions and casting healing on yourself get your health up ( I think it will regenerate if you sleep as well). I didn't have to buy any majorly expensive weaponry or armour . I came by it all through quests.

still trying to get to the main quest that is get that muppet Martin out of the chapel. Spent the night there having been slaughtered trying to close the oblivion gate and getting the guards out of there so I am having another go today. I need to chose the right weapons each time I meet a foe. Bow & arrow is no good with wolves or rats but better with them blokes who chuck fire at me( i think) . Still cant figure out what that casting spells does- nothing as far as I can see, Just a load of smoke:confused:Oh I have also been imprisoned several times for nothing really :mad:You try to help these people and........:confused:

:Oh I have also been imprisoned several times for nothing really :mad:You try to help these people and........:confused:

Stop nicking things ( unless you're in the thieves guild) , stop breaking into people's houses , stop attacking and killing townspeople ( unless someone is paying you to take them out or its part of a quest) or horses... or sheep.

I got the Strategy guide for olivion. I found it to e helpful and intresting just or reading. Was only £10.

Oblivion is an excellent game, I had my doubts at first but by the time you close your 1st Oblivion Gate, you get pulled into the story.

The mistake I made with the game though was pursuing the main quest too much and finding out that it can be a really short game doing that, like 2-3 days worth.

My advice ... Take some time out from the main story to get into the side quests as you will get more from the game that way. Once I completed the main quest, it felt like there wasn't much to do so I stopped playing shortly after. Might pick it up again to get into some of those Guild things, the thieves guild looks like fun because I enjoyed breaking into book stores to steal all the books and then try and punt them to the robbed book stores competitors. :rotfl:

I'm the complete opposite.
I've done the battle for Kvatch and closed the 1st gate and that's it.

So far I've racked up 150 hours and I'm currently at level 25 or so, just from doing side-quests, exploring, finding weapons, creating magical items, etc.

Once I've run out of things to do then I'll go back to the main quest and finish the game.

I've just bought the Shivering Isles download too so there's another mini-game to explore.

--

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom