• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just bought new Plasma TV - cable buying advice

Chris The Ninja

Established Member
I currently have a very poor CRT and use, if not the cheapest cables Cable Universe had to offer, certainly not 'quality' ones. I have just invested in a new 42" plasma TV which is currently on order so I am thinking of buying some new cables and just looking for some suggestions.

I have Homechoice as my main TV source, using the silver box for those that know, and it is not a particularly high quality source but does output RGB SCART. So I need a new RGB SCART (~ 1m) but it doesn't need to be amazing.

I will also be connecting the TV via coax to use the internal Freeview service and I can see some value in spending a modest amount on this. Will probably need at least 1.5m long. The plate on my wall is male but don't know what the fitting is on the TV yet (assume female?).

I want to connect my laptop (VGA/DSUB), which will probably require a 3m cable.

I also have a DVD player which I want to connect using component (~ 1m).

I will also need an RCA phono cable to connect from the TV to my amp (~ 1m).

Have had a look on Cable Universe but the selection for coax and SCART isn't that inspiring. Also had a look on tvcables which looks more like the thing. Don't want to spend a fortune, natch, but just want some cables that will get the best of the equipment I have.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
For SCART take a look at Thor (£18), Philex (£12) or IXOS XHT251 (£13) which is the budget blue range. Vivanco Prowire also worth a look (£12)

For flylead (RF coax) - See satcure

I use a profigold VGA cable for my projector run but I'm sure you could just use a cheap VGA cable from a PC shop.

For component - see bluejeanscables.co.uk or markgrant or again take a look at the Ixos blue cable (XHV204). If you're on a tight budget cableuniverse do one at £12, I have a 5m version for my projector and it's spot on.

No need to spend a lot on a phono cable for TV to amp, profigold at around £9 or so would be fine.

Profigold or Ixos Blue seem to be good budget cables that are good quality. I use a fair few profigold in my own system and have a couple of the Ixos blue phonos in my car and are fine.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom