1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought HS10 without demoing it - will I regret it?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ziglar, Jan 14, 2003.

1. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    After all the favourable reports on the HS10 from you venerable folks, I took the plunge and bought a HS10 from NexNix (9 in stock) along with dead pixel check.

I now wait in anticipation for its delivery, probably on Wednesday.

Because I am rather naive, I bought it without demoing it due to the rave reviews - am I fool to put my trust in all your comments? Will you destroy my faith in humanity? Is there still something good and honest left in mankind .... (oops, sorry, wrong forum)

I await your congratulations/commisserations(?!?) as appropriate.

Stuart Smith

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    I bought one after reading Kramer's posts..lovin it big time.:)

3. ethanol

ethanol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ziglar,

i'm also very tempted by one of these - will be demoing one this week hopefully.

What / where is nexnix (any url?) and what do they offer in the way of dead pixel check? how much?

4. billybunter

billybunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My thoughts exac.
    I'm getting mine on Wednesday...

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hmmm... what shall i watch first..... hmmmm..

BB

5. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    www.nexnix.co.uk £1799 + vat. £20 dead pixel check.

Don't now how to use the smiley things.

6. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was all set on the AE300 until

a) ziglar posted the price of the HS10 from nexnix :devil: ;) I was waiting for the ae300 to be released over here -anyone care to have a stab at what price they'll launch it for ? Panasonic have confirmed it is coming "soon" but won't put a date on it.

b) I just read over on AVS that using the sideshot 2 really doesn't degrade the picture quality (I won't be using HTPC)

Now I'm thinking about the HS10 again !!! Are there any owners out there who can confirm b). I can justify mounting an ae300 on the ceiling as it won't be THAT noticeable, but as for mounting the HS10 up there, no way ! The thing's huge. So that means using sideshot.

Also just how much quieter is the ae300's fan compared to the sony's ?

Please help me make up my mind !!!

7. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I ordered mine from www.nexnix.co.uk too as I might have mentioned in another post....

2113 including VAT
    20 dead pixel check
    10 delivery

I think it was. Tomorrow now.... :)

8. ethanol

ethanol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Insp.Gadget, what do you see as the main advantages of the ae300? - Interested as I'm probably about to go for an HS10 myself.

9. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ethanol

I've been weighing them both up for some time now, the way I see it is :

HS10
    Higher resolution (if you do get a dead pixel the chances are you won't see it !)
    Fits my room better (1.5 - 1.8 throw ratio).
    Reliability better than Panasonic it appears (although a few problems are starting to appear with the fans etc.)
    Will do 1:1 pixel mapping should i decide to go down the HTPC route at some stage.

AE300
    Smaller unit
    Quieter fan
    From those who've seen the two, the ae300 has reportedly better blacks and shadow detail.
    Price (expecting it to be cheaper than the HS10 but reackon they'll pitch the ae200 at the same price if not more than the ae100 and the ae300 at 1500 + vat imo)
    Bulb life 5000 hrs (or at least more than the HS10)

Both have horiz and vert sideshot, although I reckon the HS10 will handle it better because the ae300 is already enhancing the picture with smooth screen so using keystone must take its toll.

I'm going to leave it a bit longer and see what price the panny comes in at, that will probably decide for me. They may shoot themselves in the foot and price it too close to the HS10, in that case it's a no-brainer.

I would also like to get it before the end of the current financial year, as the 100% first year allowances will no longer apply for technology equipment after that - 20% of the cost of the HS10 as a tax reducer = :D

These are just my opinions, feel free to jump in anyone if I'm wrong or missed anything major.

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only time will tell ;)

But IMO, you'll not be disappointed. Great unit.

Best of luck for Wednesday ;)

11. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have also just ordered from NEXNIX with Dead Pixel check and a Draper Luma 82.5 inch screen.

You will not be upset when you see the HS10. I had not really seen a projector before but I has a demo of the HS10 at NEXNIX and you could have been watching a good telly (I have got a Loewe). The room was not totally blackout and the image was great.

My only reservation is that it really shows the problems in the Sky image.

Cheers

Ben

12. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My only reservation is that it really shows the problems in the Sky image

Help Please: I intend using my (still undecided) HS10 mostly for Sport and SKY movies. Yes there will be a DVD (HTPC) later on though. So should I expect a cr*p image? Will I be better off with a cheap PJ?

Would it be best to put the signal thru an HTPC then out vis VGA? Why is life so complicated?

13. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am in the same situation as you.

I am going to be using the HS10 for 80% Sky Sports and 20%DVD, so DVD playback is less important.

What I would say is go and demo an HS10 at somewhere like NEXNIX as Russell their is great and the price is very good.

Here are my thoughts on SKY and HS10.
    ---------------------------------------------------

I am planning on feeding the HS10 from my sky box via RGB to S-Video converter. I am watching from 125" a 82.5" Screen

I am not sure if this is true but Sky seems to have different levels of picture quality. If it is a good feed (England Cricket and American Football) then the image is not be best but is very watchable.
    The bad feeds from Sky are getting on for unwatchable.

This is the solution for bad Sky feeds. The HS10 has a few zoom modes and when you drop the image size down all is OK. Not the best answer but that was all i could come up with.

My feeling is that 1.5 image width is the closest for Sky.

Search on the Forums and there are some reports of people using the ProV Scaler with good results, I am planning in trying one of these in the future when funds allow.

Basically, get a Demo and see if the picture is OK for you.

Ben

Anything else then please aak, my HS10 arrives tomorrow

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Or you could try the new Brite-view which I demo'd at home on the weekend and a friend is now demoing. Makes a HUGEdifference to the Sky image even on low bitrate channels like Sky One.

15. Markatlarks

Markatlarks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Or you could try the new Brite-view which I demo'd at home on the weekend and a friend is now demoing. Makes a HUGEdifference to the Sky image even on low bitrate channels like Sky One.

Living in Cornwall has its advantages - Having a demo of current PJs is not one of them.......... Where is there a demo facility in Devon/Cornwall for an HS10 + Sky?

Thanks Benmc and Messiah for you help but should you know a man who knows a man who knows where I can get a demo I would appreciate a point of contact.

Question: You mention Low Bitrate on SKY One. Are you also infering that SkyMovies and Sky Sport are really going to be cr*p or just a fuzzy enlargment of the souce material? If so are there any plans to improve things (Quality)?

Cheers