1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought an HS10 from Pricejapan, need screen advice please...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by reggs, Mar 8, 2003.

1. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've finally taken the plunge and purchased an HS10 from Pricejapan. Its just been shipped (what speedy service) and I'm hoping it is here next week. I've also ordered some very long DVI and S Video cables to hook the projector up to my HTPC/DVD player and Digibox, so I guess I need to sort the screen out next.

I've really considered making one of these, but from what I've read think this is probably going to be a false economy. I've got a decent sized wall, which would accommodate a screen of up to 240cm width by 160cm drop. Ideally, I need the screen to be motorised as it will drop in front of my Panny Plasma when in use. There will be a distance of 15' to the screen from the projector when its all set up.

So ............. does anyone have any recommendations for a screen and where to buy it from? I'm all X10 kited out too, so switching the screen on and off will be a doddle via my Pronto. I really only want to spend approx £350 (which may be ultra-unrealistic) as I've been hammering the plastic way to much of late. HID will be on the warpath soon me thinks.

This HT stuff is really habit forming :smashin:

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Welcome to the HS10 club :smashin:

I'm very much a fan of the Projecta Procinema range of screens. Excellent quality & reasonably priced too.

But an electric 8" screen for £350 IS ultra unrealistic. Best you'll do is secure a manual pulldown screen for that money.

I'd recommend a matte white screen (gain 1:1) for the HS10 - have seen grey screens & wasn't impressed.

I'm sure more will follow with recommendations.

;)

3. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, understood.
    BTW - What screen ratio would you guys recommend?
    I hate the fact that my Panny PWD5 has borders with most of my DVD's especially anamorphics.
    I've seen lots of people recommending 1.85:1 over on AVS, which would mean 50" x 92" or 127cm x 233.68 in my setup.
    Any pearls of wisdom? I can't seem to find these dimensions easily over here either.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely a 1.85 jobbie for the HS10/AE300.

Granted, most anamorphic DVDs are presented in 2.35:1 etc.., & you will have some "overspill", even with a 1.85:1 screen, but all widescreen TV brodcasts are 16/9.

Many DVDs are presented in 1.85:1 (or very close) - Band of Brothers being a fine example. These look absolutely perfect on a 16/9 (1.85:1) ratio screen.

It's still a comprimise, but the "inbetween" ratio get's it IMO.

Depending on your situation, either a 200cm wide 16/9 screen, or, preferably (especially with a HS10 - all that resolution demands a big screen!) a 240cm wide screen.

Personally, I sold my 7" Projecta Procinema & am awaiting delivery of an 8" version (exactly the same - bigger!).

Details of the screens I'm talking about are

here . I've got the .pdf somewhere. Let me know if you need it - I'll e-mail it to you.

BTW, thanks for the PM - appreciated :smashin:

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got a projecta procinema screen as well.

I bought a 180cm * 102cm projecta procinema electrol in matte white S fabric (ie - electric screen, 16:9 - 82" diagonal) for £450 including VAT from nexnix.co.uk which was the cheapest I could get it.

You see the same screen in the same size advertised here:

http://www.audiovisual.co.uk/products_projectionscreens_projecta_cinemaelectrol.htm

much more expensively so you will see that I thought it quite a good price at the time.

Lie I said, I bought it from nexnix.co.uk who I am sure will give you a quote if you ask.

You can look at www.projecta.nl for the screen specs and sizes.

JJ

6. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the one John got is this one:

Projecta Cinema Electrol

So £450 inc. is a good price.

Look at the price of a 240cm electric screen. £1820 EX. VAT
    here .

That's > £2100 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man that's a crazy price for a screen!

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer is correct.

The projecta procinema comes in 2 forms, electric and manual pull-down.

My screen is the Projecta Procinema Electrol (IE - Electric as opposed to manual pull-down).

The screen that reggs posted is the Project Procinema manual pull-down.

John

9. rumnblack

rumnblack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Started off with a manual pull down screen. It lasted about two weeks before I got fed up of trying to retract it back into the ceiling last thing at night. Changed it to a Projecta Elpro Electrol 180 x 180 and boxed it into a false beam on the ceiling.

From personal experience I would go for electric every time.

10. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Electric sounds nice and I'd be willing to pay £450 if it included a remote control receiver - don't need the remote itself as I've got a pronto.

The thing is, they charge an extortionate amount for the remote, usually well over a hundred quid.

Now as far as I can see the remote needs to send two signals - up and down. A reciever for that should be about a tenner maximum and about 3 quid for a simple remote.

Is it possible to wire it up to an X10 remote system?

Cheers,
    Callum.

11. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen does not include a remote receiver.

However this is not rocket science.

If you look at:
    http://www.quasarelectronics.com/relays.htm

You can buy a 2 channel UHF rolling code remote controller for £45

If you are handy at electronics, it is very easy to interface something like this to your projector screen to give remote control operation.

You use one channel (latching) to select up or down and the other channel (non-latching) to actually operate the screen.

Just add a 12v power supply to power the module and house it somewhere inconspicious.

PS. remote control is radio remote. Not IR. You can buy IR modules from the same site though.

John