• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just bought a Wii for my sister.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
£97.49 at Amazon, new!:thumbsup:

It's the Black edition bundled with "Wii Sports" and "Wii Sports Resort", which I thought was a very good price.

I also bought her "EA Sports Active 2" , new for £7 :)eek:! I paid £17 when I bought it for myself!) and "Zelda: Skyward Sword" (standard edition) - the first because of the addictive and guilt-inducing six week challenge, and the second because she's a massive fan of "Ocarina" and I thought that she might pick up this at some point in the future:

The Legend Of Zelda - Collector's Edition: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

However, after my purchase, I then wandered over to Ebay just to see whether I had got a good deal (I had, I think) and I noticed a few business sellers listing the console as a "new edition".

This, apparently, doesn't have the hidden Gamecube controller ports anymore and is designed to be used horizontally only.

Can anyone confirm this? Why have Nintendo done it? Backwards compatibility was one of the console's great strengths, especially for those few of us who do actually have some Gamecube games!

If her console doesn't have this feature anymore, I won't send it back - I just won't say anything about "Ocarina" being available on another format!

Derek

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Not heard of that before! Even if it proves to be the case, OOT is still available on the virtual console ;)

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
The new released Wiis do not have GameCube support at all. The main reason is to keep the costs down due to the Wii being at the end of it's life cycle.
I should imagine they came to this decision after viewing the stats of user habbits they received through Wiiconnect 24 so perhaps they've seen that not enough people make use of Gamecube support to carry on putting it in consoles.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
The new released Wiis do not have GameCube support at all. The main reason is to keep the costs down due to the Wii being at the end of it's life cycle.
I should imagine they came to this decision after viewing the stats of user habbits they received through Wiiconnect 24 so perhaps they've seen that not enough people make use of Gamecube support to carry on putting it in consoles.

Thanks Gonzo.

Does this mean that you can still play "Ocarina" via the Virtual Console as Sanders79 stated? And do you end up using the Wiimote and Nunchuk as your controllers?

Derek

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
You can download OOT and Majoras Mask through the Wii Shop Channel for about 1000 Nintendo points each.
You will need a Wii Classic Controller to play them.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom