1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought a Toshiba ZP48 and need some help

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by deancraigrose, Mar 30, 2005.

1. deancraigrose

deancraigrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a bit new to the modern world of TV.

I did my research and bought the tele but can you help with how to get the most out of it.

What is RGB connection, do I need to use this to get the best picture. Do I need to get a progressive scan DVD player to get the most out of the films I watch?

Any other advice from those more savvy than I or some other users of this TV would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    RGB stands for Red Green Blue and is implemented by use of a fully wired SCART lead.

Providing the device you're attaching to your TV has RGB output via it's SCART sockets(s) you're OK.

A Progressive Scan DVD Player is the one to buy for the best picture (less flicker), bear in mind though that P-Scan DVD players use component connections, not RGB/SCART so if your TV has component inputs (I assume this model does) then that's the way to go.

ALI

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Dont buy a cheap toshiba for progressive scan,they suck big time.I have had two and the interlaced signal has been much better.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, congratulations on buying a super telly - my personal favourite. As Kismet110 has already said RGB is used to get the best of this type of interconnection and you will need a 'fully wired' scart lead - this allows RGB (and audio) and other video signals to pass between various bits of kit.

In my own installation I have connected my DVR/freeview receiver to the Ext 1 connection on the back of the telly - you could just as easily connect up a vcr or satellite receiver. You can connect the dvd player to Ext 2 and use it that way. However, to make full use of this tellys built in surround sound processing and progressive scan display then you could, like me, connect the YUV (component)outputs from the DVD player to the Ext 4 input of the telly. Note - obviously your DVD MUST have component outputs for this to work and usually you have to go into a menu on the DVD and set its output to be component. Also note that this is a 3wire video interconnection and you will almost certainly need a lead with phono (sometimes correctly called RCA) connectors at both ends. At the same time to get the best quality audio from the DVD player to the telly you have to connect a 4th lead from the DVD's optical (or coaxial) output to the corresponding input on the telly. Read your DVD manual carefully to see what the audio output is. On the telly you then need to go into a submenu to 'associate' Ext 4 video with either the optical or coaxial audio - depending on which connection you've used. You only have to do this once and the 'association' stays as you have selected. When you then want to watch a DVD you can select 'Progressive' scan mode if you wish - you don't have to. Read the telly's manual slowly and carefully - this telly has a lot of facilites.

I'm afraid for once I will have to disagree with 'spocktra' on a number of counts - for me this is not a 'cheap' toshiba, is does not 'suck' and the component signal is better' than the 'interlaced' signal. Personal choice though, and of course everyone is perfectly entitled to their personal opinions - that's what the forum is about. Regards, yt.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56705

Dude get thyself to page 16 of this thread !!!! and check out my system shots below for it all hooked up :

I use :
    Ext1 – RGB – Humax 8000T PVR – stunning picture
    Ext 4 – PAL PS Component – and digital audio from DVD player to Input 1 (Toslink)

This is a DVD-V/A player that fully exploits the ZP48Ps PAL PS component abilities. Trust me I bought my ZP48P specifically for the component connections. Redv talks a lot of sense FWIW about Interlaced & PAL PS.

http://www.area-dvd.de/hardware/toshiba_sd9500.shtml OK its a german site but check out those images.

6. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Sorry,meant to say cheap tosh dvd player.The zp48 is excellent.

7. deancraigrose

deancraigrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you help chaps, some of it still sounds a bit daunting to me though!! I will be printing off your replies when trying to get the right equipement. Speaking of which can you reccomend a DVD player that does all of the above mentioned. At the moment I am using my playstation as a DVD and I am presuming I will not get the best out of the box by using this.

One last question how is it best to position the speakers to get the best sound?

Thanks again

Dean

8. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    I've just purchased a Denon all-in-one system, the DVD player has component out & is highly recommended but I haven't had a chance to really use it enough to comment.

I'd take a peek in the DVD Players section and gauge opinion, pick two or three & try to get a local store to demo them to you if possible (take one of your own disks along if you can). Ensure they use the same TV for all the machines and method of connectivity you intend to use!

Speaker positioning varies; is dependent on size of room seating position, personal preferences etc. There is a thread in All-In-One Systems Forum about this very subject but basically speaking, the sub is usually close to the TV, centre speaker below the TV, front left and right as it sounds and not too low and surround speakers above ear height either side of the seating area pointed in.

Very general layout there so please don't take it as anything but that.

ALI

9. bert2

bert2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is a DVD-V/A player that fully exploits the ZP48Ps PAL PS component abilities. Trust me I bought my ZP48P specifically for the component connections. Redv talks a lot of sense FWIW about Interlaced & PAL PS.

I thought this set has only NTSC Progressive, one of the reasons for delay in ordering it. Am I wrong?

10. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, yes it does 'PAL' progressive. With reference to Kismet110's post, don't forget that with this telly the 'Sub' is built into the cabinet - the TV's own front built in left and right speakers combine to become the centre speaker when you connect up the 4 external surround sound speakers and move the speaker switch on the rear of the cabinet to 'Ext'ernal. Regards, yt.

11. bert2

bert2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Red, buying today if i can get JL to pricematch

12. deancraigrose

deancraigrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is component output??

13. deancraigrose

deancraigrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have now got the set up and running and first impressions are good. I don't get why it flickers in 100HZ mode though, anyone know why?

Does anyone know the best place to get some RGB scart leads and are they compatable with the Sky + box?

Thanks in advance...

Dean

14. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Hmmm, flicker in 100Mhz mode doesn't sound too great, don't really know this set well so will leave someone better informed to comment upon that.

Regards good quality RGB SCART leads, try www.cableuniverse.co.uk - excellent prices, good service and v friendly. Have purchased from them a number of times, no complaints so far.

SKY+ boxes need to be setup via the on-screen menu to output RGB (think they are set as PAL by default, this being equivalent to composite), once you;ve done this then any RGB SCART cable will be fine.

Component output is a method of connecting equipment that is 'usually' on a par or better than using RGB via SCART but note it doesn't carry sound, only picture.

If you use a Progressive Scan DVD player than you have ot use component.

ALI

15. zaphod99

zaphod99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha, so i'm not the only one who sees some flicker in 100Hz mode. Howwever, I think this is really jitter. What might be happening is the Tosh set is moving the picture around slightly to soften the hard edges in 100Hz mode. If you press the still button at the bottom of the remote, the picture should become distinctly more blocky.

I think the Tosh typically uses 2 horizontal and 2 vertical display pixels to display one input PAL pixel, if you see what I mean. I think PAL consists of 540 visible lines, which on the Tosh will translate into 1080 displayed lines. But of course in 100Hz mode the lines are simply doubled up. Some jitter might then be added to soften the image, say by cycling around with a set of offsets (x, y), (x+1,y), (x+1,y+1), (x,x+1). This would have a cycle rate of 25Hz which is probably noticeable. This could of course be totally wrong.

Note that the Active, Natural and Progressive Scan modes do something more intelligent with the extra lines/pixels. This is where the motion estimation etc, comes into it, I think.

It is interesting to note that the Tosh already has the hardware, pretty much, to display HD images. This probably goes for most 100Hz TV's too. It just hasn't got the inputs. I can just see the PF4 coming out in two months time with an HDMI input :(. It also quite easily beats plasmas (typically with 480 vertical lines - not v. good at all - can't even display a PAL image properly), and LCD's (typically with 768 vertical lines).

16. zaphod99

zaphod99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er, that should be horizontal lines, rather than vertical lines.