Just bought a TomTom 720

bluevortex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
from the Halfords website using the discount code for £40 off :D May have got it elsewhere but thought as Halfords is close they may be able to hard wire the unit into my A3 to avoid those wires trailing the dash. Any body used the Halfords installation service? Any good?

Blue

Hi,

Whats the £40 halfords code, I have been after one of these, and this code might have just pushed me over the edge!

Whatever you do guys please do a backup before you start using your new 720. I didn't and I actually only had my GPS for one day.

Basically, in a nutshell, I inserted a Transcend 2Gb 150x into the 720 and it failed to recognise it. From that point onwards I received a message in red, on the screen of the 720 about not being able to save my files correctly.... and the 720 slowly died.

The software became slowly corrupted and after each use it had less and less funtionality. It had to be returned. I have since found others on the Net with the same issue concerning the SD card and the subsequent message that followed.

That was three weeks ago and I have heard no more. I reside in France and I am dealing with a French retail company and TomTom France. Hence, I don't expect any real developments for some time yet.

A backup may at least keep things going until there is a fix for the SD card issue (that incidentally only other users are aware of, not TomTom...yet)

It seemed like a really great bit of kit for the one day I actually owned it.

Whatever you do guys please do a backup before you start using your new 720. I didn't and I actually only had my GPS for one day.

Basically, in a nutshell, I inserted a Transcend 2Gb 150x into the 720 and it failed to recognise it. From that point onwards I received a message in red, on the screen of the 720 about not being able to save my files correctly.... and the 720 slowly died.

The software became slowly corrupted and after each use it had less and less funtionality. It had to be returned. I have since found others on the Net with the same issue concerning the SD card and the subsequent message that followed.

That was three weeks ago and I have heard no more. I reside in France and I am dealing with a French retail company and TomTom France. Hence, I don't expect any real developments for some time yet.

A backup may at least keep things going until there is a fix for the SD card issue (that incidentally only other users are aware of, not TomTom...yet)

It seemed like a really great bit of kit for the one day I actually owned it.

Thanks for the heads up on this, wonder if the 520 has similar issues, I imagine it will!

I am just about to return my tomtom720 after 5 days. This was a replacement for the one I bought a month ago. Tomtom cant sort out basic software issues. - no cameras they can't transfer my subscriptions althought they have tried. A total waste of money this. I previously had a tomtom 700 which was fine for over two years but thought the new features would be worth an upgrade. I wish i hadn't bothered. even the maps are not as good as previous versions

Thanks for the heads up on this, wonder if the 520 has similar issues, I imagine it will!

Hi,

Had my 520 for just under a week now and all OK on that front fingres crossed.

The only problem i am having is trying to connect my mobile to use the traffic service etc which i found that my W810i was not compatible so i used my wifes Sammy E900 and still will not connect, i was wondering if the fact i am on Virgin Mobile has any bearing on this, any ideas anybody :confused:

Does anybody know who the UK importer is for TomTom as i have found the US customer services hard work.

Tim :thumbsup:

I am just about to return my tomtom720 after 5 days. This was a replacement for the one I bought a month ago. Tomtom cant sort out basic software issues. - no cameras they can't transfer my subscriptions althought they have tried. A total waste of money this. I previously had a tomtom 700 which was fine for over two years but thought the new features would be worth an upgrade. I wish i hadn't bothered. even the maps are not as good as previous versions

See now you are making me feel like a new boy! Why would you need to transfer your cameras?

The one years subscription to Mapshare covers cameras doesn't it? My new TomTom is working like a dream, although it did take 7 weeks to get it! :)
It has not yet missed a camera and Mapshare is working like a dream.

What problems are you having with the 720?

But I must add as an Edit, the handsfree with a fully compatible phone is awful. Quiet, distorted and crackling noise all over the call. Virtually useless! I have not dared to put an SD Card in the new machine and have resigned myself to the fact that I have an over priced TT One, as many of the features are simply junk. As a navigtor it is brilliant and I am not prepared to got through hell again to get my replacement.

I am sure my French vendor deliberately kept my replacement for the seven weeks to ensure that I exceed my 28days and that any future problems are dealt with directly by TomTom. I kind of get the feeling that they have had big problems with the new TT's.

All in all I do believe that these machines will go down in TomTom history as the best marketing con ever. I find it hard to believe that there are so many problems being reported by owners throughout the Internet, yet they are reluctant to admit anything or recall all the units.

Would I ever buy TomTom again.... of course not. First and last. I feel cheated by the vendor and by TomTom.

But as I said, a great navigator!

Had mine now around 5 weeks totally overpriced ! Hands free total crap ....now it will not even download the latest mapshare ....anyone know where to get the fix

Had mine now around 5 weeks totally overpriced ! Hands free total crap ....now it will not even download the latest mapshare ....anyone know where to get the fix

Agreed! Hands free is worse than awful, the mp3 seems like an afterthought, the FM transmitter is very poor and the volume through the car radio requires good ears and a sense of humour. There are problems with SD cards highlighted throughout the web, but I seem to be over mine. The voice input is worthless because it is not complete, some manual input is still required.

The TMC side of things is garbage although I have heard of success in this area if you are prepared to mount an external area and hack into the TMC egg! Overpriced because the features just don't work as they are described. What bothers me are the reviewers, do they fail to see how this unit has been left wanting?

Anyway, as I have said, a great navigator, but thereagain so are its much cheaper siblings!

Superscot... have you had xulrunner problems? You know that turning off bluetooth on the unit seems to solve a whole variety of problems when connecting to the PC.

Agreed! Hands free is worse than awful, the mp3 seems like an afterthought, the FM transmitter is very poor and the volume through the car radio requires good ears and a sense of humour. There are problems with SD cards highlighted throughout the web, but I seem to be over mine. The voice input is worthless because it is not complete, some manual input is still required.

Hmmm. I have a 720 and couldnt be happier.
FM tansmitter - works perfectly until you get to an area where you are on th same frequency as anither radio station ..... obviously not going to work.

Volume - is fine if you turn off "adjust to speed" setting, ok its not over loud, but loud enough

SD Card - I got a 4GB one from Ebay for £20 delivered and it has worked ever since.

Voice Input - Never not picked up somewhere i need to go UNLESS there is background noise (it DOES work when the car is running), but it obviously wont work with background noise as it works on noise DUR :rolleyes: !!!

All in all, i love my TT720 and in fact im liking it alot more than i thought i would. The internal speaker is alot better than expected and its a joy to use.

Spose, those are the breaks.

Well unfortunately after using this for a day I am not too impressed.

The sound is worse than the TomTom ONE. It sounds tinny. When the volume is up at 100% and it's not plugged into the cigar lighter the voice crackles, breaks up and sounds horrendous.

Being able to play the voice and music via your car speakers using the FM transmitter is a good idea, except there is constant hissing and crackling. It would seem that the transmitter is very poor or unable to overcome local interference (I have tried around 20 different un-used frequencies).

The voice recognition is a gimmick - you can only use it to programme an address in one way, that's all it's for and it'd be just as quick to type.

When I used the bluetooth facility someone said it sounded like I was standing across the other side of a room and shouting.

I'm seriously considering taking it back and just getting another TomTom ONE. At least the sound is better and it doesn't have loads of cheap and useless features.

I bought the 720 a few months ago and have had zero problems . It was the best $$ I have spent this year. Am on the road alot and it has saved me countless headaches getting around unfamilar cities. LOVE IT . Hope my experiance isn't an exception rather than the rule lol

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom