• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just bought a Sony KDL40W2000U and i need help with two problems!!! Please help

wkdfrog

Standard Member
:lease:

Hi I have just bought a sony kdl40w2000u and need help with a couple of things.

1) When the Tv is on and i watch either tv or a dvd and there is a scence where no picture is displayed and the screen is momentarily in total darkness, i have two/three large "patches" of lighter greyish/black colour on the screen instead of total darkness. They are always the same shape and in the same palce and only when the screen is shot black. They measure around 20cm by 15cm, but are a splodge shape and not even. They even appear in that brief moment between chaning channels when nothing is shown. I cannot seem to notice a lightening of the images in the same space when the pictures come back though, although perhaps it is very subtle.
Question: IS THIS A FAULT as the set is 1 day old?

2) I have hooked up the following euipment to this TV; THe outside aerial goes to the DVD recorder, which in turn goes the the TV coaxial port. I have a digital cable connecting the dvd recorder to a surround sound amp. However, when i attempt to watch the digital feed tv programs on the TV there is a sound lag of around 1 second between what the tv is picking up and the amp is putting out - causing horrible lip sync problems.
Question: HOW DO I FIX THIS PLEASE???!!!!

I would be extremely grateful for any help that can be offered asap, thank you!

Duncan:lease:

RS 4273

1) When the Tv is on and i watch either tv or a dvd and there is a scence where no picture is displayed and the screen is momentarily in total darkness, i have two/three large "patches" of lighter greyish/black colour on the screen instead of total darkness. They are always the same shape and in the same palce and only when the screen is shot black. They measure around 20cm by 15cm, but are a splodge shape and not even. They even appear in that brief moment between chaning channels when nothing is shown. I cannot seem to notice a lightening of the images in the same space when the pictures come back though, although perhaps it is very subtle.

2) I have hooked up the following euipment to this TV; THe outside aerial goes to the DVD recorder, which in turn goes the the TV coaxial port. I have a digital cable connecting the dvd recorder to a surround sound amp. However, when i attempt to watch the digital feed tv programs on the TV there is a sound lag of around 1 second between what the tv is picking up and the amp is putting out - causing horrible lip sync problems.

Just had a quick read of your 1st problem...

to clarify what im about to tell you because im not positive but you need to take some pics of this and put them on this thread so we can see..!!,

sounds like the famous backlight bleed ,many many sony w series have it ,its a vey common fault with that tv if you cant see it in the picture which many can then it is not too bad ,but if it bothers you get shot of it, i would personaly never buy a w series i went for the flagship x series because for a few hundred more the cost is more than justifiable for perfection and it is faultless,

if you go on the w series thread there is post after post of people complaining of this back light problem i have read some posts of people having had 6 replacments before they got a panel with a half decent backlight and then they decided to give up and buy something else,many others have had 3 or or 5 or 2 replacements this list is endless..

post some pictures of this issue so we can see.

cheers.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Sounds like backlight bleeding issue. Please try to reduce the backlight settings and then check. The bleeding seems to be worse than Plasma's screen-burn which don't affect the viewing when the picture is being displayed on the screen. I live in Tokyo and many consumers here wonnder why Sony ain't concentrating on the reducing the response time from 8ms to 4ms as there has been quite a few complaints about motion blur. Remember the X series was launched here 4-6 months here prior to overseas release date. Many of us in Tokyo still suspect that Sony uses the same LCD panel in all it's models but alters the processing components depending upon the final pricing. Let me visit their Flagship store in Tokyo and check regarding the backlight bleeding issue.

chrise

Hi Duncan

As the other posters point out you have some backlight bleed. This is a fault but before returning the set try changing the picture menu settings from Vivid to custom, then as has been suggested reduce the backlight level to around 4. If you are watching in a very dark room try a small light behind the screen. If you can still see the fault on a picture rather than a blank screen then reject the set.

If I understand your second problem you are watching a digital programme through the TV's tuner and hearing the sound from the DVDR? I would suggest connecting the audio phono outputs on the TV directly to the amplifier and listening through those. Not a digital output but as the signal is only stereo that does not matter but you eliminate the delay introduced by the DVDR.

Best of luck

wkdfrog

Standard Member
Hi and thank you for your replies. Chuffed that you've taken the time to help, please carry on! :thumbsup:

It would seem then that this "backlight bleed" is something quite common, bugger! I have adjusted the settings as suggested and placed light sources in different areas, but unfortunately, this has reduced but certainly not overcome the problem. I have therefore contacted the retailer and they have agreed it is a fault and will repalce the set for me asap.

First Q: I certainly hope i do not have to replace the set several times as you mention some people have had to. Is it a problem that will gradually get worse over time? Ie if i get a new set that doesn't have the problem, might it develop over time, or is it something that it has from the start and stays or doesn't have it at all? Basically, if i get a new W series that doesnt have it (or not much at least), will it stay that way?

Second Q: One of your comments mentions that the Sony X series does not have this problem at all, is that the only difference between the sets then? Does the X series have a digital coaxal connection as well (this might address my sound question) as the W does not. I am shocked that the W series won the awards it has in the what video and tv mags if this is such a common fault! However, if the X is better i might consider asking the retailer if i can pay the difference and have the x series instead - is it really worth an extra £400 (a LOT of money to me)?! Especially if i can get a W series without the bleed (so long as it isn't a problem that will develop overtime as i mention above, etc)!

Third Q: The Sound question that i mentioned in my original post, i have now received additional info from a company called Keene Electronics who give independent technical advice. Apparently (again) this is common fault and is not a fault of the TV or the amp, but is synonomous with a digital TV and true Surround sound through a digital amp. Apparently, from the transmission (be it sky or freeview) the sound and image is picked up sepperately and therfore there is a delay. Sometimes a part of a second, sometimes a few seconds. You can overcome this with a seperate piece of equipment called a digital delay box (around £150) which will allow you to manually adjust when the image and sound are reproduced together.
However, apparently if you have an amp with DTS technology then you can apparently address this problem. Now heres the thing - I HAVE a Digital DTS amp (Samsung HT-AS610), but all i can find in the manual is that it says DTS is a 5.1 sound (nothing about delaying or making adjusments) :eek: I Think i might have to live with this issuse, but let me know if anyone has any ideas how to address this?
There are Two remedies of sorts that i have worked out - 1) a pseudo surround with a phone connection from the amp to the tv and played in Dolby PrologicII to create a similar effect. 2) Play the the tv via AV2 on the set and pick this up through the DVD player - it seems to have an exact time fit then and CAN play in digital 5.1 surround, odd eh?!

:hiya:

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE AGAIN!!!

Dan-h

First Q: have to replace the set several times ... will gradually get worse over time?
Second Q: Sony X series does not have this problem at all?

1) My replacement (2nd) set is fine although even the returned set was not as bad as yours sound. Most posts I've read replaced 2-3 times ~ none more. Haven't read about this getting worse with age.

2) I have seen a couple of X model owners' posts with backlight problems.

salubrious_k

Yes I'm afraid it sounds like you have backlight bleed...

This is what my current set looks like:
320648198_48aa008552.jpg

I'm waiting on my 2nd replacement today. I would say that if you can notice it in normal viewing (when it's dark) and you're watching a dark scene, then it is a fault and you should get it replace.

wkdfrog

Standard Member
Thanks for the picture, I must admit that mine does not seem quite as bad as your second set, but is a similar fault.

Out of interest, can everyone tell me what picture settings they have for what they feel optimum viewing?

salubrious_k

My first set wasn't half as bad as that one, but I still got it replaced because there was a noticeable patch in the lower right hand corner when watching dark scenes even with the backlight quite low.

I haven't configured either of my sets properly as I knew they were getting replaced, but you can find lots of peoples settings here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412249&highlight=sony+settings

fishman09

i have a kdl40v2000 and suffered similar probs with bleed. i gave it a few days to settle..the retailer (cheap electricals) were kind enuff to say that i could return it within 28days for a straight swap.

within 2 days the issue had lessened tho the patches were still viewable. however, once i had calibrated my screen, the patches dissapeared and the black levels and shadow detail improved incredibly.

i run with... power save high...backlight 3....contrast 95...brightness 40 for me = no bleed..the best black levels i have ever seen on an lcd or plasma for that matter

hope this helps

fish

wkdfrog

Standard Member
Thanks for the link, will have a play with the settings. I have tried to use yours fish, but i dont know whether the V series differs, but on my W series you cant have power save on high and any backlight?!

I didnt think the backlight fault was one that would improve with time, but thaks for telling me yours has, thats encouraging (although still awaiting my repalcement set first)
:rolleyes:

wkdfrog

Standard Member
after trying a few: in a darkened room i like the following:

backlight 4
contrast max
brightness 35
colour 50
temp cool
sharp 5
noise reduction high (bad reception area)

advanced all off apart from live colour - medium and colour space wide

see what you think!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom