Just bought a Sony A80J and I having issues with it and my Yamaha RX-V679

Edgarallanpoe

Novice Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a simple and commonly discussed issue. I simply don't even know what to search for to see the answer. lol

I just bought a 77" Sony A80J and want to use my Yamaha RX-V679 but I'm having some issues and have a few questions. The main issue is that I cannot get sound to the receiver through any HDMI connections. I can only get sound through the optical connection.
1. I am using the built in Sony platform for all my streaming services. It's as good or better than my Roku Ultimate so I wanted to simplify things.
2. All firmware on both devices is up to date.
3. I am running a 5.1 speaker set up with a decent set of Polk speakers...nothing special but good enough for me.
4. When trying the HDMI sound option I am using the eARC ports on both devices and have tried other ports.
5. All cables are rated appropriately and I've tried different cables...again all rated properly for these ports.
6. I don't use this room or setup for anything other than movies/tv, so streaming music or any type of other music device is irrelevant (turntable, etc....)

So here are my questions.
1. Am I losing anything by using the optical instead of the HDMI?
2. If I am not using the upscaling of my receiver, doesn't it make more sense to use any devices (Nintendo Switch, Apple TV for my yoga programs, etc...) through the TV instead of the receiver?
3. Would I be wasting money by buying a new receiver if I am only using it for audio because the TV would probably be its equal unless I spend a decent amount of money on the receiver? I don't have a problem dropping 1-2k on a new receiver if it will genuinely offer me a large upgrade in sound.

This is my first foray into a setup of this quality so excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance for any help offered.

Oh, and the picture on this TV is unlike anything I've ever seen, it's stunning.

The AV receiver is only ARC and not eARC enabled.

Regardless of this, you'd ordinarilly be able to access anything streamed via the TV's onboard streaming service apps to the AV receiver using ARC apart from Atmos because the AV receiver isn't Atmos enabled.

Ensure that both ARC and HDMI Control are turned on within the AV receiver's HDMI configurations.

Ensure that you've connected the AV receiver's ARC enabled output to the one ARC enabled HDMI input on the TV. You should be using a cable that is HIGH SOPEED in nature for this connection.

Ensure that the TV's implementation of HDMI CEC/Control is turned on onboard the TV. Sony often refer to this as Bravia Sync on many of their models. Ensure that ARC is also turned on onboard the TV.

Turn both the TV and AVR off into standby and then power them up again. This will reinstate a new HDMI handshake between them.

If ARC is still not functioning then I'd suggest the TV and its implementation of ARC is at fault. Sony TVs have a very poor reputation when it comes to their ARC functionality and compatability with other devices.

If using optical instead of ARC then you'd lose the ability to convey DD+ anf you'd be limited to Dolby Digital, DTS or 2 channel PCM. The only real afvantage associated with ARC over S/PDIF optival is its ability to convey DD+ incl;usive of Atmos metadata.

Last edited:
Thanks Dante...I'll make sure that the Sync feature is turned on. I saw that and was wondering what that was. And you are correct in saying that the 679 is only ARC, I knew that but neglected to make that distinction.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the sync feature. That feature is more to do with HDMI CEC than ARC and synchronises the standby status of the TV with the AVR.

Yes, the V679 is ARC and not eARC enabled. It predated eARC.

eARC (enhanced ARC). is only of any real relevance if wanting to passthrough HD formatted audio or multichannel PCM sourced via external devices connected to the TV's other HDMI inputs. eARC allows for HD formats and mulichannel PCM which conventional ARC cannot handle. No streaming service uses HD formatted audio or more than 2 channel PCM.

Last edited:
I got it...the solution was bizarre. It turns out that I was doing everything correctly. But for some weird reason, Yamaha selects AV4 as the default display for the input. Mind you, there is NOTHING plugged into AV4. My ARC port is HDMI1 so it made sense for me to make sure that HDMI1 was selected. Nothing. lol I had the optical cable connected to AV1 and when I went to select AV1 to get sound I accidentally hit AV4 and there it was. Just to make sure I disconnected the optical cable and everything was still there and sounding much better than the optical connection. Probably because the enhanced audio features were finally working.

Anyway, it's there now. Not sure why Yamaha chooses AV4 of all things to display as the input when it is actually HDMI1. Weird and confusing. Had I not accidentally stumbled across it, I would never have known it was there.

Thanks for the help Dante...much appreciated.

If ARC and HDMI Control are turned on then yes, the AV receiver will default to the source it associates with ARC when you power it up. This is an adverse result of ARCs depenance upon HDMI CEC and CEC causes the AV receiver to do this when it initially detects the TV. The TV is effectively sending an HDMI CEC command to the AV receiver forcing it to switch itself to the source associated with ARC.

I think you'll find that the AV receiver was switching itself to the AUDIO 4 source as opposed to the AV4 source? ARC has nothing at all to do with the AV receiver's HDMI inputs and AV4 is an HDMI input.

Optical has no auto switching feature so would result in the AV receiver automatically setting itself to the associated source.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom