Just bought a Sharp XV-Z200e Brand New for £499 and it is GREAT!

Excellent PJ :thumbsup:

I saw one of these in action at the Manchester show and was really impressed. In fact i was going to buy one until the Sharp became available at half the price.

I also had problems with the throw distance and lack of lens shift in my room but thought the pic was equal or better than any other PJ in the show (apart from a Sim one that was way off the price scale).

I actually bought 'Dances with Wolves' when i got the Sharp as that was what was being demoed on the H72i to compare. I think the Sharp holds its own but no doubt side by side the extra resolution becomes obvious on the H72i. I do think they both create a similar pic though. Same DLP depth and colours.

How do you find it compares ?

I assume it must be better or you wouldnt have bought it:smashin:

Regards

Andy

If anyone wants a Neutral Density Filter for the sharp as mentioned earlier in the thread, I am selling one here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329068

Ideal for adding to projector to improve percieved contrast and improve black level without affecting colour balance.

It gives a good boost to the blacks but I found it made the picture just a bit too dark for viewing during the daytime (with my curtains drawn of course !)

Might save someone a few quid though :smashin:

Have Nexnix still sold out? Their website seems to be showing it still...

Oakley said they had - and I just sold mine on Fleabay :thumbsup:

I just got an ex-demo one with (apparently - not plugged it in yet) two hours on the clock for £540 inc vat...

Never seen it before, never demo'ed any pj's, only ever seen my bnrother-in-laws Themescene in action but after looking at 4805s and Benq5120s for the last 8 months or so I went for it after researching on the interwebby and reading this thread. :oops:

Fingers crossed it works ok and I am happy with it! :suicide:

Should 30 days be enough to work out whether being ex-demo has damaged the bulb? Replacement bulbs at about £350 (even when compared to other replacement bulb prices) is quite costly!

Thanks for all the posts on this thread :smashin: - they really helped. Now I just need to work out how to set it up and use it! :confused:

Ex-demo doesn't mean sub-standard by any means. Just that it has been used instore for a minimal period. 2 hours use means it still has plenty of life left ( 3000 hours average use) but it also shows that it has performed without fault plus you should still get a warranty with it which should include the bulb for a limited period.
You'll love your purchase, I'm sure of that!!!

is tht the 201 or the 200 at that price danjugan?

my z201 has been sitting on the floor waiting for my projector screen for the last 3 weeks :mad:

UPS delivery was pretty bad~! :thumbsdow hopefully i will get it on saturday and test the projector!

i get rainbows but not much - and no headaches after watching for the first time

just watched the two towers

on a magnolia-ish wall - with a screw in the middle of the picture and not set up perpendicular

wow - excellent, and much better looking than the fellowship of the ring. First thing i've watched that has really rocked

should have screen soon - should then be even better

great film - great projector:)

any tips on a 190cm wide or slightly bigger screen for the 201e?

I got a few rainbows on some white subtitles on a black background - but then I would expect that. Nothing to speak of on the main screen for me though. :)

Need a little advice please. I bought a 10m component cable to run from my DVD player (a Fusion 811) to the projector. Now I find out that the DVD player does not have a component out! :eek: It is also not progressive scan either.

Question: should I spend more cash on a new DVD player with component out (and progressive scan?) - can I get a decent one for less than £100 (I am feeling very strapped for cash having just splashed out on the PJ)? Or should I buy an S-video cable instead (S-Video is better than scart isnt it)? :confused:

At the moment I am running the PJ from the dvd's video out (yellow phono) socket so I am guessing I am not really viewing at anywhere near optimum! :oops:

Thanks

I would buy a new dvd player with progressive scan component out.

I have the sharp hooked up by both s- video and component and have tried it with a sony hx510 and Pioneer 575a.

I find that s-video and interlaced component look pretty similar (not that good but ok for sky) but that switching to progressive scan gives a big improvement in pic quality.

The sharps's deinterlacer is not very good and you will get a big jump up by inputting a progressive scan output from a decent dvd player.

As a starter you could pick up a Pioneer dv 575a from Richersounds for £69 !! which is a steal. The pic and sound quality are far better than you would expect for the price.

Definately the way to go with this PJ. Read back through this thread and you will find numerous posts confirming that a good prog scan dvd player is a must with this pj for best results.

Andy

Actually, for BEST results, try an interlaced DVD player into a Video Processor and then into the Sharp over DVI :D ;)

Cheers Andy, a great help - I had noticed the comments re progressive scan earlier so i thought that would be the case... where's that credit card again... :oops:

Sniffer - thanks for the response but I got a bit lost after the words "try an" :rolleyes: ;)

Danjugan said:
Cheers Andy, a great help - I had noticed the comments re progressive scan earlier so i thought that would be the case... where's that credit card again... :oops:

Sniffer - thanks for the response but I got a bit lost after the words "try an" :rolleyes: ;)

sorry, I was being facetious :cool:

I have a video processor (scaler, de-interlacer) etc that I use to de-interlace rather than the "inferior" de-interlacer in the dvd player or projector.

After trying several different progressive scan DVD players, I find the best results come from ones which have the Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer inside.
I find this system elliminates jagged edges (which really annoy me) on straight lines where other de-interlacers fail.

Faroudja are in the Denon range and I think also in the Samsung HD range among others.

Just downloaded the 4 new wmvhd trailers.
The part in superspeedway,where there is a close up of andretti in the red car
when stationary, is crystal clear on this projector, a real wow effect.

Just got a question about the little switch on the back that says video and PC, what does this switch do? what should i set it to when using a scaler like the Iscan HD?

Thanks

If you're using a PC to play games, set it for PC, if you use it for DVD playback then set it for video, and if you're attaching a scaler, set it for video. You can set it for PC but that can sometimes cause banding in the image depending on what the source is sending.

Gary

just got the back room done -too light really but heh

screen will be up and about to get the projector up

everyone still loving theirs or everyone upgraded?

also - anyone putting sky sd through on s-video? if so what's the quality?

:hiya:

Connected my up to a humax high def reciever today, so far watched the
rolling bbc hd demo, what can i say but, it`s criminal that i could buy a projector for £499 that produces such good pictures, the shop was robbed as far as i`m concerned.

It`s my day off and 3 matches on bbc hd today can`t wait. The Gallapagos
demo on bbc hd, was fantastic "looking out of a window stuff ", can`t imagine
what it must be like with a hd projector.
One very happy person.

sirata said:
Connected my up to a humax high def reciever today, so far watched the
rolling bbc hd demo, what can i say but, it`s criminal that i could buy a projector for £499 that produces such good pictures, the shop was robbed as far as i`m concerned.

It`s my day off and 3 matches on bbc hd today can`t wait. The Gallapagos
demo on bbc hd, was fantastic "looking out of a window stuff ", can`t imagine
what it must be like with a hd projector.
One very happy person.
I've been saying all along how fantastic the Sharp handles HD material. Believe me, moving up to a HD res pj doesn't improve the quality as much you you might expect, the Sharp is that good!!

high def pic from bbc hd this evening

Attachments

• high def 3.jpg
    high def 3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 289
Quick question please:)

Have been trying different dvd players with this pj via prog scan component and had some interesting improvements.

Just bought a Denon 1920 (not arrived yet) with HDMI out to try the DVI input on the PJ but have just read that the DVI input has to be HDCP compatible to work.

Does anyone know if the DVI input on the Sharp is HDCP compatible or is anyone using the DVI input from a HDMI player with success ?

If so, how do you find the pic compared to component.

Thanks

Andy

Having read the majority of this thread again :rolleyes: i have answered my own question. it wouls seem that i should have no problems:smashin:

Interested to hear what people think of the DVI input compared to the component using the same player (to negate any differences in player performance)

Also do you think its better to buy a HDMi to HDMI cable and add a HDMI to DVI converter (semi future proof) or just get a HDMI to DVI lead.

Does the HDMI to DVI connector reduce quality at all ?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom