1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought a Sharp PG-M15S....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by coastersteve, Nov 30, 2003.

1. coastersteve

coastersteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ...DLP projector! Is it any good for home cinema or have I bought a duffer?

The spec of the projector can be found here: http://www.drakeav.com/PGM15S.htm

Anyone got advice on setting it up?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    It's OK - similar spec to my old Davis DLS8, but there are a lot better DLPs out there - the Infocus X1 is also 800 x 600, but has Faroudja DCDi image processing built in and 1400:1 contrast when in film mode. Less than £800 now IIRC.

I'm not sure what your's will look like fed directly with DVD player, but if you get jaggies on the edges of things, then you'll need an external scaler or Radeon equipped PC with DVD drive. What do you intend to do with it? Watch tv, DVDs, play games etc?

I'd use Avai to set white and black levels, or a THX Optimiser from a THX disk to set it up.

I'm sure it'll still look good on a big screen though. Welcome to the world of tweaking and upgradeitus. :)

Gary.

3. coastersteve

coastersteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Gary,

I paid £550 for it with 16hours on the bulb so I don't think I was done.

Yeah I see jaggies on the ends of things, what external scaler would you recommend? Are the jaggies due to the native 800X600 resolution?

I'm hoping to play DVD's/Laser disks onto it, would i see a marked improvement if I used PC with a Radeon card? (I presume with DVI output)

Cheers
    Steve

4. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used one a long time ago.

I found the best way to watch DVD's is via your PC.
    If your PC has a digital card fitted, I suggest you link DVI - DVI and watch your DVD's this way.

3 years ago, this was a very good model, but as with everything, time change.

Purchased at a very good price as I think it originally retailed for £2,500.

One comment for future refence, if it goes faulty, don't have it repaired by Sharp as the cost of replacement parts are very expensive.

The machine was originally manufacturered by PLUS (Not very big in europe, but number one in the world), so I would suggest you have it repaired by a PLUS service agent.