1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought a poo t.v. need help!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by grs, Aug 29, 2004.

1. grs

grs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello just bought a philips 28pw6006 for £250 got it home a the rgb quality on the xbox is terrible,not even sure if it is and rgb tv though it said it was,going to try to send it back.any suggestions on another 28 wide no prologic tv that will give my a great picture through the rgb scart on the xbox and the playstation i have a budget of £450,your help would be much a appreciated.thanks

2. virus uk

virus uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a though , but are you using a true xbox rgb cable? Not the cable that came with xbox.
    Picture on my 36 pw9607 using xbox was crap to say the least untill i got the mirosoft rgb cable then out standing rgb picture.Your philips has rgb on av 1 acording to philips book.

3. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Didn't the Phillips 28PW6006 get a What Hifi award a few year's back? I've no experience of that tv but can you change the input to rgb scart? I can change the input on my Toshiba from s-video to composite. Also check the setting's on the xbox in case it's set to Pal60 and your tv doesn't support that.

4. grs

grs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i am using the advanced scart cable which is is rgb because i have used it on many other tvs,I do not think the tv is rgb even though it says it on what tv and video site simply because the colur can be changed when the rgb is in the av,on true rgb tvs this can not be changed.what does any one else think.

5. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Spend a little more and get a JVC t4, you won't regret it, just do a search for it or its predecessor the t25 to see what I mean.

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Xbox's RGB output is not a raw RGB signal. The feed to the video encoder is in YUV component and the color is subsampled at 4:2:2, i.e. in half the horizontal resolution. The picture is then rescaled before conversion to analog, and heavily flicker filtered. So, in essence, the Xbox does not give an absolutely crisp RGB picture, but one that in many games is a bit soft. Strong reds bleed just a little bit.

In progressive YUV component and higher, the color is not subsampled and the lucky ones who can use this feature (i.e. Americans) get higher picture quality even with standard resolution games.

The reason you can change the color saturation even with RGB is because the RGB signal is converted to YUV component internally and then back to RGB. Theoretically this does not mean any loss of quality, in practice it is probably minimal.

Do you have any other console (such as a PS2), or a DVD player that you can try it out with?

7. rbates51

rbates51
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're quite sure that the scart cable is connected to EXT1? That socket should have a symbol containing 3 dots next to it - denoting RGB - and EXT2 will have a symbol containing 2 dots.
    You sound like you know what you're talking about, but I've made the same mistake myself so best to double check :)

8. grs

grs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for yours help guys,sending tv back because the quality is not up to the grade,tryed ps2 pro evo3 on the tv the picture is pretty average,before this i was using a 4yr jvc i think it was a 28eks or something like that and thre rgb picture was excellent,need a 28 wide 50hz budget £450 any recommendations..

9. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    JVC T4 28" £320ish

10. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would definately consider a Panasonic model. I have had mine (TX28PL1) for about 2 years now and it was a hell of a buy at £360. Just 50hz 28", no gimmicks, just a cracking RGB picture. The only thig I would like is two RGB sockets, one for XBOX and another for DVD. This would save me having to change the damn things around all the time! There have been a couple of models since mine but they have all got great reviews.