Just bought a MW3 console and trying to transfer my game saves from my old 250s

TheSilverSurfer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I just bought a mw3 console from game which i intened to transfer my game saves from my old 250s modle onto.

After having a real bad experince before which ment i lost all my game saves from launch before, a couple of years ago when i tried to put a brand new 250gb hdd onto an old xbox elite. (I had sucsessfully used that method before doing the 20gb orignal to the 120gb elite with out an issue.)

When i did the data migeration cable method, only for all my game data to be moved onto a brand new fresh out the packet faulty drive. which would not even boot up. So it was so long data :(

I would like to know. Would it just be the case of fireing the mw3 console up. Recovering my gamertag so that i can switch the lisence over to the new console and then just download my arcade games as well as my other dlc that i have purchased in the past?

And is it just a case of moving the game saves onto the usb from the old 250s. Then plugging in the usb and moving the game saves over to the new mw3 unit?

I am quiet nervous about the change over because of my disaster last time.

Any info or help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Martin :)

Last edited:
If you're only going to be keeping the new console, so you only ever play on 1 360, then this is the easiest way: -

1. Move your gamertag(s) and saves to a USB stick, then move them from the stick to the new console's hard drive
2. Do a license transfer, then re-download all of your Xbox Live content to the new machine
3. Format the old 360's hard drive and the console is ready to sell

If you have multiple 360s that you use, then when you do step 1, you can actually leave the gamertag(s)/saves on the stick and just plug that into whichever 360 you're using at the time. The items are accessed directly from the stick, so there's no need to copy/move them to the 360's hard drive. Another option is to use the new cloud storage feature.

Last edited:
Cheers for the reply DJSigma. Yeh that's correct i plan to do the transfer of game saves and all other dlc over onto the new mw3 unit as your steps 1-3. Then go and sell the old 360s to a freind. So i will be only using the one 360.

Will my vip pack from forza 4 and the like that you get on the scratch cards included with the game. Will they be easy enough to transfer over aswell?

I don't know exactly how the DRM works with VIP packs and online passes in every case, but they do transfer over from console to console. They should also be tied to your gamertag.

multi player saved online so no problem there

the data cable has a COPY method , so COPY rather than transfer

you could also use CLOUD to save game up to 511mbs worth. Its not a lot but gets you going

you dont need to recover gamertag any more , just put in your profile and connect to xbox live. Its so handy if you have 2 or more xboxs in one house

Thanks again guys for the responses, i am just waiting to get the console delivered from game. Will post up the results on how i get on.

Cheers

I just got round to doing the transfer of the game details over today what with new year and that.

I have just one more question regarding the licence transfer. After moving my game saves, gamer profile, arcade games, and game add on's, On to a usb stick from my old 360 to the new 360s.

I have done all the transfering of game data. I am just at the start of the process of proceeding with the licence transfer.

Will i have to still re download the arcade games and game add on's again? As i have already moved them on to a stick and they are now in the new console's hard drive.

Thanks again

Last edited:
You do have to re-download them, but it doesn't actually re-download each piece of content in full.

Everything you buy on Live contains a license that's just a few KB of data. When you do the license transfer and then re-download your content, all it actually does is download new licenses for everything. So if you have a map pack that's 700 MB, for example, it doesn't download 700 MB again. It'll just download the tiny license file which replaces the existing license, so it takes a second or two for each piece of content.

At the end of the license transfer process, it will ask if you want to queue all of your content up so that the licenses can be refreshed. That's the easiest way to do it.

I have just completed the license transfer from my old 360 to my new one. I have got to the stage where i am going through all my game add on's and arcade games and trying to re-download them to my new console.

But on my new console, which i have now singed into xbox live on but still had to do the password needed to sing in on this console section. It says in the active downloads section. "Pending" and all the content has "Assigned to other console!" next to it.

Does it take a wee while after the license transfer stage before it recognises the new console and allows you to the re-download the all the content?

Just wanted to say a big thanks to DJSigma for all his help on this thread, really been a huge help. For someone who has lost five years of game saves in the past i was a bit nervous transfering the data over. But can now say the job is done :smashin:

Cheers again for taking time out and replying to the posts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom