1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought a Lex MC-1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mark Ward, May 23, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well, I bit the bullet, the deal was too good to miss.

£1500 plus my Denon AV-A10SE for a fully loaded Lex MC-1 v4 Immaculate and less than a year old. The guy is ugrading his HT (to what I don't know) and will take my Denon for his second room. I know it's not in the same league as the MC-12, but it's got to be a great upgrade for the extra cash.

All reciepts available, though I'm damned sure the guy is legit anyway.

I can't arrange collection/delivery until next week, I need to get the funds together, but the deal has been done :)

Now.. How to get those extra 2 speakers in the room without my wife spotting them :devil:

Mark.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent deal Mark. You've done really well there. Some people seem to be selling the DC1/2 for that money!

Enjoy, and good luck with the extra speakers! Power amps sorted out?

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're real addict!!!
    Congrats
    Me myself and I

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Beast Said
    I'm really happy with the deal. I'll feel even better when I've got the "telling the wife" bit over with!
    Thanks, for now I'm going to have to settle for the 5.1 Logic7 pseudo surround while the bank account recovers a bit. As for power amps... I've currently got my 4 X HK2400's and Denon POA-T10. I spoke to a guy at Lex who told me the HK's are brilliant and I should keep them, same thing the guy at Kef said.

When I get my rears
    Power Amp Strategy L, R, Fronts Biamped = 2HK's
    Centre Channel Monoblocked = 1 HK
    Side Surrounds 1 Channel Each = 1HK
    Rear Surrounds 1 Channel Each = 1 Denon

Biggest problem is still space in the rack.

Will eventually need 5 Power Amps plus 4 sources (DVD, LD, VCR & Digibox)

The 2 B&W PCS8 THX subs will probably have to go now to pay some towards the Lex :( . If I can work out how to do this without selling them I will as they'd be perfect in the big new room.

Plump Said:
    Sometimes I scare myself how much of an addict I am! :D

Mark.

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,

I have decided to sort out my rack overcrowding (and over-heating) by dumping the amplifiers and passive speakers and replacing the lot with an all-active setup.

Economy wise, passive speaker + power amp cost about the same as 1 active speaker. You also need to take into account change of cabling.

Your MC-1 can feed 5 active speakers directly (sub is I assume already active).

I recommend you look at Genelec, Makie or M&K speakers.

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Branxx Said
    I don't like the idea of having to plug each speaker into a power supply, this would further limit my positioning options.

Also, I really like the ability to choose the specific amplification and speakers I want seperately.

I've done quite well with my S/H power amp purchases and I'm a bit of a Kef fan when it comes to speakers so the only real solutions for me are rack based.

I'm looking at using wall mounted shelves at the moment. I don't really buy into this idea that the rack has any sonic impact on the thing that sit on it. So long as the racking is anchored to the floor or wall I think it should work fine.

I saw some nice looking wooden rails that go on the wall with wood shelves that can be fitted at any height and that looks like my best option.

For the immediate future I'll just use 3 stereo power amps and run 1 channel each to fronts & rear for 5.1 and bi-amp or bridge for the centre channel.

Mark.

7. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,

While I agree with you on the merits of having full flexibility in mixing & matching amps with speakers, the amount of equipment and heating does present real problems that need dealing with in surround set-ups.

I have listened to many very good passive set-ups and a number of active ones, and ending up totally convinced in sonic and technical superiority of active setup. Not only are they using active crossovers, but also each speaker within the speaker box is powered with individually matched amplifier. Take for example M&K MPS-2510P that has two 150W amplifiers, one for midrange speakers and one for tweeters. M&K MPS-2525P (surround speaker) has three amplifiers (180W+100W+100W) for the three groups of speakers in the speaker box (Genelec and Mackie have similar features, with Genelec having even more powerful amplification). This level of precision matching of amplification with the speakers that is done at the design and manufacturing stage is extremely difficult to beat with mix and match consumer equipment at reasonable costs.