Just bought a HTPC - advise on WMC and basic setup please :)

XFile2708

Standard Member
Ok guys I'm sure these will be very basic questions for you guys so please don't shoot me down in flames :thumbsup:

I've just bought a 2nd hand HTPC today - I've dabbled with PCs for many years so am pretty computer literate but am having to fudge my through trying to get to grips with Vista - Windows Media Centre for the first time... lol

The spec I've bought is:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (Onboard Dolby Digital/DTS optical out + HDMI/DVI/VGA outputs)
HD-DVD/Blu Ray/DVD Combi Drive - LG GGC-H20L Lightscribe SATA
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4450e (low energy model)
Ram 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400
HD Samsung SpinPoint 750gb
Remote Cyberlink Media Center Remote Control
Case - Antec Minuet 300 (with antec psu)

Being 2nd hand its all configured software wise without problems - there's films and music on there already which I've had a play with and got playing without problems :thumbsup:

However i'm now looking at transferring some of my own movies across so now have a couple of questions as to how to do it...

I have located the media folder and all films seem to have an individual folder containing the video file along with a folder.jpg file which Im presuming is the thumbnail for the image displayed on WMC... Do I have to manually find these and resize them to 256x256 or is there a specific website you guys use to download them from?

I also note there is a mymovies.xml file in some of the files - I presume this is what displays the film information... how do I get hold of these for my own movies?

Next is a setup query - my TV is the Sony Bravia KDL40U2000 and the HTPC is connected via HDMI - when I boot to media center it shows as 1080i however when I close media center and go back to Vista desktop it shows 720p... How do I change this to also be 1080i?

My last question is recommendations on a cheap wireless card compatible with the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard as currently I've no way of connecting it to the internet as I don't want trailing ethernet cables in my living room...

Any help and advise you guys can give will be very much appreciated :clap:

Last edited:

XFile2708

Standard Member
Managed to get the CoverArt and Descriptions working by using Metababel - so just need assistance on the other Qs now guys :)

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom