Just bought a Hitachi 42PD5200 Plasma - new DVD player advice required!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dynamite, Jun 5, 2004.

1. dynamite

dynamite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

finally treated myself to a hi-res plasma, the new Hitachi 42PD5200.

Already sold my 42" Samsung rear projection, just waiting for the plasma to arrive now.

However, I'd like to take advantage of the plasma's superior connectivity. I currently use a 200-disc Sony DVD changer as my main player, but this has plain old RGB scart & s-video - no component or DVI/HDMI outputs.

I'd prefer to use the DVI input, but would consider the component if it's what you guys think best. Since all my money has been spent on the screen, I don't think I can stretch to the HDMI Pioneer :(

What would you guys recommend? I've seen the Yamakawa 365 (around £100 inc delivery + duty) and the Momitsu V880 (around £200 inlc shipping and duty).
    I've also seen the odd decent player pop up at Richer Sounds, the the Pioneer 656 for £100, but all though it's got component I don't think it does prog scan.

Anyway, what do you think?

Cheers,

d.

2. dynamite

dynamite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody have an opinion on this?

3. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No help, just a request for others to reply as I have just taken delivery of the same model yesterday. I am currently using a sony 725d DVD which has component outputs (which I am using) but they are non-progressive.

I am considering either purchasing an IScanHD deinterlacer/scaler or a samsung HD935 with DVI output and I am not sure which would produce the better image.

I am actually quite pleased with my current image - but maybe that is just in comparison to my previous rear pro ?

4. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I can't comment on the DVI, but the Hitachi's own deinterlacing for both PAL and NTSC is reasonable, so you will need a higher end DVD player to see an improvement in component progressive scan. There is no real difference between interlaced feed (RGB and component) and progressive feed when using lower to mid end players. :)

5. grant1sc

grant1sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Dont mean to affend u as this a bit of thread, but I dont suppose u fancy selling ur changer to finance a high end player. If you did Id be willing to take it off ur hands.

Cheers

Lee

6. dynamite

dynamite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi grant1sc.

No offence taken. Nearly everyone that hears about it enquires into it, although I'm sure the people on here are more likely to have heard of it.

Depends how much you were offering??? It's in perfect condition, multi region and boxed.

d.

7. grant1sc

grant1sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, iv got a wanted in the classifieds, if u would like to post in there with a price then we can go from there. If not, thanks for considering neway. Cheers ,

Lee