Just bought a Denon 1912

smirf

Standard Member
Reaction score
And now suffering buyers regret.....!

I went into richer sounds and was looking between this, the Pioneer 921 and the Sony820. Initially my head was in the Sony space partly because of price, and also because of the what hi-fi award

I was soon talked out of this, so then back to denon or pioneer. Not sure why I went for the denon, maybe the 6 hdmi inputs for future proofing., and hdmi passthrough, However I'm now sat thinking whether this was the right decision across all 3 of them!

I'll have a blue ray, Xbox and sky had via hdmi. One thing bugging me is the wii will go into the component, but there is no up scaling on this amp? Will I notice this? Does it make any difference up scaling sky non HD channels too? The blue-ray will look after the sd DVD ups along

Is the Sony actually a good choice??!! My blue ray is the Sony 480.

The Denon is still sat in it's box unopened. Anyone want to help me make my mind up!

The Denon is a level above the Sony so it is the better amp. What speakers do you have?
I would not worry about the upscaling since your TV will upscale as well as the Sony amp anyway so it will give you no benefit. You will not notice not having upscaling on the amp as it is more of a gimmick and box ticking exercise at the lower end of the market.
Also with SkyHD you need to connect an optical cable to the amp if you want 5.1 as it will not send 5.1 via the HDMI.
Personally I would probably stick to the 1912 you have.

PSM1 said:
The Denon is a level above the Sony so it is the better amp. What speakers do you have?
I would not worry about the upscaling since your TV will upscale as well as the Sony amp anyway so it will give you no benefit. You will not notice not having upscaling on the amp as it is more of a gimmick and box ticking exercise at the lower end of the market.
Also with SkyHD you need to connect an optical cable to the amp if you want 5.1 as it will not send 5.1 via the HDMI.
Personally I would probably stick to the 1912 you have.

Thx for your feedback

I have a set of Jamo home cinema 5.1 set - couple of years old now. Yes, had heard about running an optical in for sky

Erring now to keeping it!

Is it the Jamo 102? If so then the 1912 really deserves better speakers than them to get the best from it. However, there is not a huge difference in price between the 1912 and Sony so I would probably still keep the Denon and then this gives you a nice upgrade path for the speakers in the future.

My experience is that you will need to connect the Sky box to the TV directly as if you go via the amp it will default to HDMI audio thereby only ever providing stereo. Then also run an optical cable for when you want to use the amp.

In that scenario you can have audio through the TV to avoid disturbing the gf and only turn on the amp when you need it. It does mean you may need to select the appropriate TV input.

I have a Pioneer amp so this may be different

Simon

Got it connected last night, and worked through most of the settings such as assigning inputs and renaming them. No issues with sky and sound, films were surround via the optical with the picture via hdmi.

One question - is there anyway of customising the quick selects? Apart from renaming. At the moment 1-3 are fine as they cover DVD sky and Xbox, but I would like to change 4 to wii from network. Makes it simple for the kids

Also it appears that if I select sky for example on the remote it keeps the setting for surround sound, but if I select quick select 2 it will chose sky but default to Stereo. Correct?

But overall was a doddle to set up. Now the fun begins!

Is there much if any difference between the Pioneer vsx921 and the Denon 1912 (other than the Denon being about £30 cheaper in some shops)?

Is there much if any difference between the Pioneer vsx921 and the Denon 1912 (other than the Denon being about £30 cheaper in some shops)?

The Denon has AirPlay as well as 2 more HDMI inputs.

They've both got airplay - so I'd get 2 extra HDMI inputs for £30 less. Ah, I think the pioneer has an upscaling chip but the denon doesn't.

They've both got airplay - so I'd get 2 extra HDMI inputs for £30 less. Ah, I think the pioneer has an upscaling chip but the denon doesn't.

The Denon too has upscaling and conversion. I'm at a loss as to why so many people presume/state it lacks this feature. Is there a review somewhere that says it lacks upscaling?

The AVR1912 has video format conversion: S-Video, composite video and component video to HDMI with 1080p upscaling.

Denon AVR 1912 has No upscaling to 1080p but has video conversion from analogue to HDMI out with de-interlacing but remains same resolution as input source.

Hope that clears the confusion.

Denon AVR 1912 has No upscaling to 1080p but has video conversion from analogue to HDMI out with de-interlacing but remains same resolution as input source.

Hope that clears the confusion.

I stand corrected. SuperFi say otherwise on their website so I'm off to egg their store front :mad:

I've got the Denon and the Sony and have to agree that the upscaling thing is a bit of a red herring, particularly bearing in mind what sources I use and that it HDMI all around. I let my Panna BD upscale DVD to 1080p and then send it via the Denon to a Samsung Plasma. The picture is superior to what I was getting with the Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom