• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just bought a D50, need a lens!

darwinws

Established Member
Hi all,
Just bought a D50 from eBay body-only, so I need a lens to put on it. I don't have much to spend (roughly £50) and need a general lens (28-100mm ish) with a decent max aperture (at least f/2.8). Obviously it will be 2nd hand due to the price, and it needs to have AF. Any recommendations?
Thanks

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Maybe a second hand Nikon 50mm 1.8?

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I think John has mentioned the only lens capable of f2.8 within you budget. Zoom lenses for f2.8 probably the cheapest would be a tamron 17-50 2.8 but you looking at around £250 for one of those.

For £50 you would get an 18-55mm kit lens, a bit more money (around £100) would get you a secondhand 18-70mm DX lens.

senu

Distinguished Member
You need to up your budget a lot TBH
The Tamron will serve you very well even if it is 5-6X your budget
I sincerely think that you never really know what your kit is capable of unless you partner it with decent glass , ( which sometimes costs more than the body)
The 50 mm is definitely capable but 50mm ( only) as a focal length is quite restrictive for general use

Last edited:

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
The 50 mm is definitely capable but 50mm ( only) is qite restrictive for general use

But not as restrictive as no lens at all! :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom