Just bought a CX 55 OLED, any tips for my usage?

Britpix

Hi everyone. After spending a lot of time deliberating and seeing the CX go out of stock at some retailers, I decided to buy the 55-inch model. I was wondering if there is some advice for tweaking the settings and how i should use it in regards to burn-in? I'm getting a ps5 in a few days and like to play a varriety of games. I do enjoy JPRGs like Persona so the conversational text on screen is a concern. Would you recommend watching sports like Snooker on it, or keep that in moderation? There's some older shows I watch in 4:3 like Star Trel TNG, does this matter? My first OLED so I'm pretty new to all this. I've read that switching content and having some variety should help?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

stranger

I don't game or watch sport! others can answer you on those points, but for films and tv just use ''Filmaker' setting (tweak brightness if necessary then forget.
My opinions of course and recommended in the review on this forum.

PS mine is 77CX

Britpix

I don't game or watch sport! others can answer you on those points, but for films and tv just use ''Filmaker' setting (tweak brightness if necessary then forget.
My opinions of course and recommended in the review on this forum.

PS mine is 77CX
Thanks for that, My 55 so far seems huge since I'm upgrading from an ancient 28-inch haha.

stranger

Thanks for that, My 55 so far seems huge since I'm upgrading from an ancient 28-inch haha.
It will grow smaller and smaller in a very short time ;)

Seriously though, have a read through the owners and the forums but don't get hung up on Anything.
I had my last 4 tvs professionally calibrated but am more than happy with 'Filmaker' mode ('user' to tweak slightly if necessary)

next010

Distinguished Member
Everything you described is fine no need to worry.

As long as your not leaving the TV on for very long times with a static logo or GUI element on screen, text bubbles do not matter as its not on screen all the time, something like an MMO with UI elements always on screen played for very long times are what to avoid or play only in moderation.

There are PS5 suggested settings on Youtube like HDTV-Test.

Britpix

Everything you described is fine no need to worry.

As long as your not leaving the TV on for very long times with a static logo or GUI element on screen, text bubbles do not matter as its not on screen all the time, something like an MMO with UI elements always on screen played for very long times are what to avoid or play only in moderation.

There are PS5 suggested settings on Youtube like HDTV-Test.
Yeah, I think it was just early purchase nerves and I'll get more confident as I'm using it more. Played God of War yesterday and it looked incredible. The colours destroy my old TV. Think I'll just make sure I mix content every few hours and all should be good. I don't play any MMOs which helps.

mikej

Yeah, I think it was just early purchase nerves and I'll get more confident as I'm using it more. Played God of War yesterday and it looked incredible. The colours destroy my old TV. Think I'll just make sure I mix content every few hours and all should be good. I don't play any MMOs which helps.
In case you haven't seen it, Rtings did a burn-in test on OLED TVs a few years ago and, while it's important to note that these OLEDs were 2017 models and therefore possibly more susceptible to burn-in than more recent models, it's likely that some of the points and findings raised in the test are still relevant.

For example - it is widely believed (and stated by LG themselves) that the effect of static content on an OLED screen is cumulative so, while mixing content every few hours is a good idea, it will presumably delay (and not necessarily prevent) uneven pixel wear over time. Brightness is also an important factor - the brighter the screen, the quicker the pixels will wear.

Here are the relevant points from the test...

Note that we expect burn-in to depend on a few factors:
  • The total duration of static content. LG has told us that they expect it to be cumulative, so static content which is present for 30 minutes twice a day is equivalent to one hour of static content once per day.
  • The brightness of the static content. Our maximum brightness CNN TV has more severe burn-in than our 200 nits brightness CNN TV.
I should state that I'm only raising these points because I think it's good to know where you stand at the out-set. FWIW, I game regularly on my 2019 Panasonic OLED but, as a precaution, I turn any static HUDs (that I don't need) off and use a custom picture mode I've tweaked to have a lower, more modest luminance setting and I have no uneven pixel wear (signs of burn-in) so far, despite literally hundreds of hours spent on games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA V.

JustTheFacts

There are static channel logos on many TV stations. If you fear burn in then a OLED TV will drive this anxiety thru the roof. Just watch your TV and enjoy. The majority of OLED owners take no special precautions and never experience burn in.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom