Just bought a 2nd hand PS3 - some questions

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Krill, May 7, 2007.

1. Krill

Krill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Hi everyone just managed to secure myself a second hand PS3 which should be arriving later in the week. What I'm trying to figure out now is the whole registering the PS3 and master account and sub account scenario.

The previous owner has registered the PS3 so is this going to cause any potential problems, eg. with warranty etc? I have been told that he reset the PS3 to clear any of the data.

Secondly if I pre-signed up for a Playstation network account do I sign up with that when I get the console or not? I saw some people say there were issues with using pre-registered names and that they either couldn't or then had options greyed out.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I did search for second hand consoles etc but could not find anything similar.

Cheers

Krill

2. Bruvva

Bruvva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Don't worry mate, you'll be able to register a new master account for the Playstation Network no probs.

The only thing may be the transfer of the hardware registration with Sony for the warranty etc. I expect this is also probably possible also though.

3. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    If you have pre-registered a name on the PS Network then you should be able to use that. I registered my name on the UK pre-registration site before the PS3 was released here and then used that with my JP PS3 once the site was fully up and running.

You can create a number of PS3 Users and respective Master Accounts (with their own sub accounts if you wish), but you will need a different e-mail address to use alongside each one. I have done this and have 4 users (one for each of the UK, US, HK and Japanese stores), each with their own Master Account.

Registration on the PS Network and registration of the PS3 for warranty purposes are separate. Regardless of any accounts being registered on the PS Network, hopefully the PS3 hasn't been registered yet as that would be the easiest way for you to make use of the warranty if required.