Just bought 3ds xl for kids some newbie advice needed

digitaldecks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all just bought some 3ds xl for Christmas gifts for my two daughters ages 5 and just under 3.

I was going to get the 2ds but the xl just look brilliant with screen size. Also both had to be pink. Anyway using nectar points and tesco boost I will be collecting two units, two chargers and two copies of olaf games. Cash outlay only 120 quid.

Stupid question but I will be switching 3d off do I always buy 3ds versions of games due to them being correct size or is it that the 3ds version just has extra code for 3d feature?

sorry newbie to Nintendo handhelds so be gentle. I've just spent so much time deciding if to go xl that not that about the games and pixel mapping or if the 3ds versions are in any way different in 2d mode/ 3d switched off.

I will be looking to buy the phonics series and games for young kids. I read that the xl handles the ds games very well even if there are black bars but if the 2ds version had larger screens I would have got them. Just getting any opinions from all as I can return and change to 2ds consoles and games.

Bottom line is to stop kids using our smartphones. Easier to swallow broken ds xl than iPhone and I pads.

I'm actually excited to play on them also.

It's just extra "coding"..3DS games are just that, games with 3d..so you can play it just well with it off as on..And your console plays DS games, they will look older and less graphically polished, but still play and look like they would on a DS.
The 3D mode can be turned off in Settings, and Parental locks can be in place too.

I'd stick with the XL, larger better looking screens, and the added protection of the clamshell design..for a small child, the 2ds version is fine in size now, but not for long...besides, when they are sleeping, you can play, and it's better on the big screens.

Thanks RottenFox in stick with the xl. Picked one up last night and the other will be tonight. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking about the 2ds size.

Again many thanks for your advice

I will be looking to buy the phonics series and games for young kids. I read that the xl handles the ds games very well even if there are black bars but if the 2ds version had larger screens I would have got them. Just getting any opinions from all as I can return and change to 2ds consoles and games.
Just to add that if you hold the start+select buttons when launching a DS game, it will launch the DS game in 'full screen' mode on the 3DS. Obviously resolution will be worse & picture is slightly stretched, but for a 5 & 3 year old they won't notice/care about that & will prefer having a full screen regardless.

In general, if a title is available on both 3DS & DS, the 3DS version will always look better than the DS version so always try to go for the 3DS version if possible.

Ill add a daft newbie question if thats ok, I've got 2 of these for my kids for christmas.

Can it go online in any way? My oldest is just starting to get into youtube etc, can he access that via the 3ds?

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom