1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just bought 20d, better than 350d??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mxseduti, May 14, 2005.

1. mxseduti

mxseduti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have just bought a second hand 20d (in mint codition) but is it much better than the 350d??
    I will mainly be shooting motorsport photography but just wondered if its worth saving some money and going with a 350d? What ever i have left can then go towards some new glass?
    I have 7 days to take it back to the shop (if i dont like it) so i need to make a decision pronto.
    Any help would be much appreciated

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can see right away where this one is going to go. Have you actually had a chance to use both cameras?

I take it you've done your research on both cameras?

If you're going to shoot motor sport the 20D is faster, has a faster fps rate, has a bigger buffer. It's better built then the 350

If you think that canon would be crazy enough to make a camera to rival it's own 20D, you'd have to ask yourself where the sense in that would be..

Try them both, see what you think, do some research. The 20D is basically the better spec camera, but that doesn't mean the 350 wont suit your needs perfectly

That all really depends on you.

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Although you will have saved little bit of money on the body, it won't buy you a lot of decent glass. (unless you paid too much for a 2nd hand 20D!!) From what i've heard, the 20D seems to be the much more capable cam for action stuff. It's hard to tell you which is more suitable for you, especially if you don't have access to test the 350 hands on.

4. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    i would think the 20d, being the higher up the range camera, is going to be the better one, though if it will suit your needs is another matter....i have a 300d and went motorsport shooting yesterday, my advice: Get a fast lens, with good fast AF and you will be fine....and find somewhere with no fences...

5. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

I would love a 20D even though I'm a happy 350D owner. My first choice would have been a 20D if I had enough funds, so all I can say is if you can afford a 20D go for it.

ASH1 :smashin:

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    In terms of absolute image quality there's nothing in it, but there are a number of reasons why the 20D is the "better" camera. But as seany says, the 350D might be perfect for you.

A mint used 20D vs a new 350D for the same money would see me go for the 20D, but they're both cracking cameras.

7. mxseduti

mxseduti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Im going to stick with the 20d.
    Currently saving for a 70-200mm f4 L series. Have any of used/own this glass?
    If how do you rate it for my needs?