• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just been told

MrBunuel

Standard Member
The Pioneer pdpsx5080d I'm selling is one of the best plasmas ever made, I'm being told.

They seem to agree with that here:

Pioneer PDPSX5080D (50 KURO Plasma TV - HD-Ready-Freeview-Inc spks stand-With at home warranty) | BargainSpy

Wondering if I've made right choice going for the LG 60PK990 Infinia and if I'm ripping myself off selling the Pioneer for a couple of hundred. It's only 1080i but if the blacks really are that good and people are desperate for them?

You guys experienced either telly?

Kev12

How much are you selling for? Is it in the classifieds?

I'll take it off your hands for a "couple of hundred" right now. PM me.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Pioneers still havnt been beaten in terms of image quality , and with most people seeing 3D as a passing fad ( quite rightly too ) , those who do have them and know what they have are keeping them , and those who want them have to pay way over the odds for them as Pioneer are out of the business.

A "Couple of hundred" for a 5080 in good condition is way way too low , multiply that by at least 10 or 15 and you would still get your hands bitten off.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Pioneers still havnt been beaten in terms of image quality , and with most people seeing 3D as a passing fad ( quite rightly too ) , those who do have them and know what they have are keeping them , and those who want them have to pay way over the odds for them as Pioneer are out of the business.

A "Couple of hundred" for a 5080 in good condition is way way too low , multiply that by at least 10 or 15 and you would still get your hands bitten off.

£2 -£3000 :laugh:

$$Buck-Naked$$

Well a couple of things. First, he has a HD ready Kuro 8G not the Kuro 9G. Second, current Samsung (C550, C680, C6500, C7000 and C7700) and Panasonic (G20, GT20, V20 and VT20) offerings have about the same black level as the Full HD Kuro 8G. Futhermore a Kuro 8G can't be as properly calibrated as a Kuro 9G. The Kuro 8G is beaten by current Samsung and Panasonic offerings but the Kuro 9G is still way off.

I do agrea it's useless to go for any of LG's offerings as that would be a downgrade and going to any Samsung or Panasonic would only give a very small upgrade.

Stay with the Kuro!

MrBunuel

Standard Member
Buck-Naked the LG arrives tomorrow and I don't want to have two tellies. Surely the new LG with frame rate and so on, as well as 1080p will be a better picture, blacks and all?

Damn should have asked you guys before I splashed out.

cheekychappie2k

You should be buying my kuro 8g 6080. larger version of your tv, and i have been looking for a new tv to sell my one (financial reasons), and have looked at ALL possibilities, and none of them match to the kuro 8g. to think a pana or lg or samsung can give a better picture than my 8g kuro, its nonsense.

if you want it, its in the classifieds... comes with a wall mount (official one) and 2 years+ warranty for £2100.

MrBunuel

Standard Member
Cheekychappie, I'm kind of convinced I'll prefer picture on my new 60in LG. It's had cracking reviews, beating everything in a recent Mail on Sunday TV survey.

If not it goes back to store and I spend a bit more on surround sound

MrBunuel

Standard Member
If I do sell, I'll probably go for about a grand - it has two or three years warranty left. Now just to explain to mate she's not getting it for £220.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
i sold my 508xd to a mate nearly 2 years ago for 900 quid. i'd keep it. it still looks superb and forget the lack of full hd, not a real issue unless you're stupidly close to the tv.

Last edited:

Bumtious

Banned
The SX was a Richer Sounds exclusive

Basically it was the spec of the 508XD but in the 5080 guise which meant amongst other things it did not have the ISF, but DID have all the usual setting options which meant it COULD be calibrated but you could not lock the settings in. SX had part of the surrounding bezel in silver, THAT was basically the ONLY difference over the 5080XD.

The simplest thing to do is compare it to your new set, then decide. Only you can decide if it is a better picture.

One of the key technology features of KURO was the screen filter. Now on the 5080 it had lessor of the 2 filters Pioneer, it is equivalent to the one Panasonic are using on their current so called "top" of the range sets, the VT.

The LX-08 sets had the advanced filter that no one has managed equal yet.
Contrary to what people believe these filters were not an anti reflective, they were anti absorbent, and there is a big difference.

If external light is allowed to enter and contaminate the the screen, this has the effect of washing out the image. So you see the screen colour (EG why Panasonics always look green) not black and colours fade. The quality of these filters is one of the reasons why you get so much contrast from these sets.

Its the one thing that may make the LG disappoint and I would say you should compare this.

I actually agree with buck naked about the Panasonic Sets today being about on par BUT ONLY the VT, the other makes mentioned are not, and processing in current sets are certainly not on par.

Make no mistake it's this filter technology that was patented and is what other manufactures were and are still desperate to emulate.

There will be different "flaw traits" with the LG, but I have to say higher end LG sets is the make domestically I would look at IF I had to replace my current set.

I think the biggest difference you will see is in the smoothness of the image. There is little dithering used on an LG set so the image will appear smooth, sometimes artificial and because of this you are likely to see banding, but that's one of the trade off's, dithering (fizzing) vs banding (large areas of colour blocking), which is more distracting to you.

Don't let the fact that your new set is 1080p be a reason to upgrade, however you are going 60" and 1080 is becomes beneficial at this size, it's not really a big issue at 50" and certainly not an issue at below 50" unless you sit on top of the set.

Don't be taken in by reviews, they are guides and much of the time are not reliable and certainly the Mail on Sunday is no reference point.

Selling it, you should get £4-500 for this set no problem. It was around a £1000 new???

Last edited:

MrBunuel

Standard Member
I didn't take the Sunday magazine article with the five star LG 60 PK990 review as gospel, just piqued my interest and raved about 'cinema quality image correction'.

It's just been delivered 10 minutes ago so once I have this beast - the box is huge - on its stand, I will have a tinker for a couple of days and have a think.

It will be a hassle returning it and the store, as always, has been very gracious and helpful.

So fingers crossed it does the business and I can sell the Pioneer.

Thanks ******** and everyone for your input.

One thing though, to me 1080p looks amazing compared to my 1080i when I see it in the shops. In truth, I upgraded to get 1080p.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom